[AISWorld] A Missing Facility: Off-List Threads

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Dec 14 01:58:08 EST 2009

E-list technology has remained unchanged for over two decades.

We, the IS discipline, share in the culpability for that.
(When did *you* last author an Internet Draft??).

It would be valuable if:

-   single-hit posts to this list could raise issues of importance.

     Some would be discipline matters, others would be about relevant
     research domains, yet others would be meta-topics (like this one)

-   individuals who were interested could 'chat among themselves'

-   everyone else (which is usually the large majority) would see
     no more than the original post plus any summary-posting sent later,
     after the thread had died down

Conceptually, that implies the notion of 'subscription to a thread'.

It probably needs automatic unsubscription of all list-members, i.e.
threads should be opt-in - although preferably by means of a
single-click.

Should we look for a way to spawn such off-list threads?

Is anyone aware of a mechanism that could be readily grafted on?

I appreciate that the following is self-referential, and hopefully
redundant as well, but  ...

                       PLEASE REPLY OFF-LIST!

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916