[AISWorld] Promotion and Tenure Guidelines-Request Information

Valacich, Joe jsv at wsu.edu
Thu Jan 21 14:49:16 EST 2010

Hello Colleagues,

I chair the WSU College of Business P&T committee.  I have been charged
by my dean to simplify our guidelines, hopefully down to a one-to-two
page document.  Maybe this is not realistic?

First a bit about our current document:

We currently have a very lengthy and highly detailed document (e.g., you
need one publication of this type, four of this type, etc...).  This
document "removes a lot of judgment" from the process, but at the time
of its development, it was very useful in applying a more consistent
standard across the College.  Today, given both market factors (e.g., a
scarcity of jobs at many schools and disciplines) and the limitations of
a highly specific document (e.g., by the letter of the law, someone who
achieves the publishing standards by year two and does nothing else over
the next 4 years would have to be supported...).  "Judgment" has played
a very small role in a lot of the cases over the past few years...

What might an improvement?:

We are doctoral granting school that highly values research (this is the
scarce commodity typically in a person's record).  Given this view, a
document that articulated that an assistant professor "building a solid
national / international record" that could be evidenced by a variety of
factors (e.g., publications, editorial boards, grants, external letters,
etc.).  In other words, publications alone would not dictate support,
but of course this could be the approach taken by a candidate.  However,
there may be many different types of records that could be supported for
promotion.  Likewise, to be promoted to full professor, this goal of
gaining a national reputation has been realized.  Of course, adequate
performance on teaching, service, collegiality, etc... would also be
covered in such a document and required for promotions at each rank.

Here is where I need your help!  :-)

If you have struggled in your college with a similar issue, how did you
resolve it?  If you have a shorter, less formula-based guideline, how
has it worked?  Can I get a copy of your document to look at the type of
language you have used?  Etc...

Thanks.  I will summarize my findings to the list.

JV

Joe Valacich

Hubman Distinguished Professor of Information Systems

Senior Editor, MIS Quarterly

Department of Information Systems

College of Business

Todd 437L -- PO Box 644729

Washington State University

Pullman, WA 99164-4729

Work - Voice: 509.335.1112 Fax: 509.335.5339

Personal: www.cb.wsu.edu/~jsv <http://www.cb.wsu.edu/~jsv>

Dept: www.business.wsu.edu/InformationSystems/
<http://www.business.wsu.edu/InformationSystems/>