[AISWorld] Contents of Journal of Database Management (JDM) Volume 21, Issue 1, Jan-Mar 2010

Keng Siau ksiau at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Mar 30 15:45:20 EDT 2010

Journal of Database Management (JDM)
ISI Impact Factor: 2.0
Official Publication of the Information Resources Management Association
Volume 21, Issue 1, January-March 2010
Published: Quarterly in Print and Electronically
ISSN: 1063-8016 EISSN: 1533-8010
Published by IGI Publishing, Hershey-New York, USA
www.igi-global.com/jdm

Editor-in-Chief: Keng Siau, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA

PREFACE

An Analysis of Unified Modeling Language (UML) Graphical Constructs Based
on BWW Ontology

Keng Siau, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA

Prior research on system analysis and design indicates that graphical
constructs have a significant impact on interpreting information conveyed
in diagrams. This article examines Unified Modeling Language (UML)
graphical constructs. Evaluation of UML graphical constructs is important
as they are the building blocks of UML diagrams. In this paper, graphical
constructs used in UML are discussed and issues with UML graphical
constructs are identified. The paper also suggests ways to alleviate these
issues.

To obtain a copy of the entire preface, click on the link below.
http://www.igi-global.com/Files/Ancillary/JDM%20preface%2021(1).pdf

PAPER ONE

Using Ontology Languages for Conceptual Modeling

Palash Bera, Texas A&M International University, USA
Anna Krasnoperova, Bootlegger, Canada
Yair Wand, University of British Columbia, Canada

Conceptual models are used to support understanding of and communication
about application domains in information systems development. Such models
are created using modeling grammars (usually employing graphic
representation). To be effective, a grammar should support precise
representation of domain concepts and their relationships. Ontology
languages such as OWL emerged to define terminologies to support
information sharing on the Web. These languages have features that enable
representation of semantic relationships among domain concepts and of
domain rules, not readily possible with extant conceptual modeling
techniques. However, the emphasis in ontology languages has been on
formalization and being computer-readable, not on how they can be used to
convey domain semantics. Hence, it is unclear how they can be used as
conceptual modeling grammars. We suggest using philosophically based
ontological principles to guide the use of OWL as a conceptual modeling
grammar. The paper presents specific guidelines for creating conceptual
models in OWL and demonstrates, via example, the application of the
guidelines to creating representations of domain phenomena. To test the
effectiveness of the guidelines we conducted an empirical study comparing
how well diagrams created with the guidelines support domain understanding
in comparison to diagrams created without the guidelines. The results
indicate that diagrams created with the guidelines led to better domain
understanding of participants.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below.
http://www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Article.aspx?TitleId=39114

PAPER TWO

Modeling Design Patterns for Semi-Automatic Reuse in System Design

Galia Shlezinger, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Israel
Iris Reinhartz-Berger, University of Haifa, Israel
Dov Dori, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Israel

Design patterns provide reusable solutions for recurring design problems.
They constitute an important tool for improving software quality. However,
correct usage of design patterns depends to a large extent on the
designer. Design patterns often include models that describe the suggested
solutions, while other aspects of the patterns are neglected or described
informally only in text. Furthermore, design pattern solutions are usually
described in an object-oriented fashion that is too close to the
implementation, masking the essence of and motivation behind a particular
design pattern. We suggest an approach to modeling the different aspects
of design patterns and semi-automatically utilizing these models to
improve software design. Evaluating our approach on commonly used design
patterns and a case study of an automatic application for composing,
taking, checking, and grading analysis and design exams, we found that the
suggested approach successfully locates the main design problems modeled
by the selected design patterns.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below.
http://www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Article.aspx?TitleId=39115

PAPER THREE

Energy and Latency Efficient Access of Wireless XML Stream

Jun Park, Korea University, Korea
Chang-Sup Park, Dongduk Women’s University, Korea
Yon Chung, Korea University, Korea

In this article, we address the problem of delayed query processing raised
by tree-based index structures in wireless broadcast environments, which
increases the access time of mobile clients. We propose a novel
distributed index structure and a clustering strategy for streaming XML
data that enables energy and latency efficient broadcasting of XML data.
We first define the DIX node structure to implement a fully distributed
index structure which contains the tag name, attributes, and text content
of an element, as well as its corresponding indices. By exploiting the
index information in the DIX node stream, a mobile client can access the
stream with shorter latency. We also suggest a method of clustering DIX
nodes in the stream, which can further enhance the performance of query
processing in the mobile clients. Through extensive experiments, we
demonstrate that our approach is effective for wireless broadcasting of
XML data and outperforms the previous methods.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below.
http://www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Article.aspx?TitleId=39116

CALL FOR PAPERS

Mission of JDM:

The Journal of Database Management (JDM) publishes original research on
all aspects of database management, design science, systems analysis and
design, and software engineering. The primary mission of JDM is to be
instrumental in the improvement and development of theory and practice
related to information technology, information systems, and management of
knowledge resources. The journal is targeted at both academic researchers
and practicing IT professionals.

Coverage of JDM:

Agile systems development
Bio-informatics
Cognitive modeling
Component engineering
Conceptual modeling
Data quality
Data warehousing and data mining
Database for advanced applications
Database management and administration
Database models and query languages
Database security and integrity
Design science
Domain-driven development
E-business and m-commerce models and architectures
Empirical software engineering
Enterprise systems and supply chain integration
Extreme modeling and extreme programming
Geographical information systems
Human-computer interaction
Heterogeneous and distributed database
Information and knowledge modeling
Intelligent agents and agent-based applications
Knowledge engineering and management
Method engineering and metamodeling
Object oriented methods and methodologies
Requirements engineering
Service-oriented architecture/service-oriented computing
Semantic Web and ontology
Software engineering
System analysis and design
Unified modeling language and unified process
Virtual team and Web 2.0
Web database and Web-based information systems
Web design methods and methodologies

Interested authors should consult the journal's manuscript submission
guidelines at www.igi-global.com/jdm

All inquiries and submissions should be sent to:
Editor-in-Chief: Dr. Keng Siau at jdm at unlnotes.unl.edu