[AISWorld] Free Download: Exploring Philosophical Issues in Information Systems

John Artz jartz at gwu.edu
Sun Aug 1 07:23:32 EDT 2010

Dear Colleagues:

Over a decade ago I wrote a book entitled The Ghost of Socrates: Exploring Philosophical Issues in Information Systems which, for a variety of reasons, I never got around to publishing.

This book uses a Socratic approach to concept analysis to explore issues such as personal privacy, knowledge management, quality of life, machine intelligence, the redistribution of social power, the differences between science and technology, and where requirements come from. The premise is that if we could conjure up the Ghost of Socrates he could probably help us quite a bit in sorting out some of the thornier problems in information systems; hence, the title.

A few weeks ago I reread it, cleaned up a few typos and marveled at how well it had stood up over time. I have posted it on my website as a free download. If you are interested in any of the above topics and would like a copy please go to http://home.gwu.edu/~jartz click on Books in Progress and then Ghost of Socrates.  Feel free to download and distribute this book as long as you do not modify it or take credit for my work. If you have a comment or a question, please send an email to me at jartz at gwu.edu .

Thanks,

John

Education is what remains after one has forgotten
everything he learned in school. -Albert Einstein
Office Hours for Spring 2009: T&R 2-4pm & 5pm-6pm
Let Me Know if You Plan to Come By
Office Location: 515E Funger Hall
John M. Artz, PhD
Department of Information Systems