[AISWorld] FINAL CFP: RESEARCHING THE FUTURE IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS RESEARCH, IFIP 8.2 2011

Mike W. Chiasson m.chiasson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Aug 29 17:32:27 EDT 2010

  FINAL CFP: RESEARCHING THE FUTURE IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS RESEARCH -
IFIP 8.2 CONFERENCE, TURKU FINLAND, JUNE 6 TO 8, 2011

Papers Due: **September 10, 2010** (extended deadline).

This is a final call for papers, for The IFIP 8.2 working group (IS and
Organizations) conference in Turku Finland, 2011 on "Researching the
Future in Information Systems Research".  Papers both addressing this
topic, or any other topic relevant to the 8.2 working group (see
http://ifipwg82.org/) are welcome.

The web-site and call can be found at: http://www.wg82.abo.fi/,
including the full programme committee
(http://www.wg82.abo.fi/committee.php).

You can also find more detailed information about the scenic location
for the conference at http://www.wg82.abo.fi/delegateinfo.php.  The
European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) will also be taking
place in Helsinki, right after our working group conference.

The full call is included below, and the deadline for submissions is now
**September 10, 2010**. Please pass this call onto others you think will
be interested.

Looking forward to your submissions and seeing you at the conference.

Warm regards.
--Mike

Mike Chiasson, Lancaster University UK, and Ola Henfridsson, Viktoria
Institute, Sweden
IFIP 8.2 2011 Co-Chairs

Full Call:

As we approach the second decade of the 21st century, ongoing
transformations in business forms and practices, economic institutions,
and societal practices are greatly influenced by developments in
information and communication technologies (ICT). Some of these
transformations dazzle us with possibilities for improving social
welfare, while others suggest that social inequality may be increasing
and preserving the status quo.

As researchers within a discipline focused on the design, adoption,
utilization and effects of ICT, we are well-positioned to contribute to
the future shaping of ICT-based practices. Drawing on a healthy debate
about research relevance, it is now time to explore, develop and
substantiate the new directions through which our field can shape and
influence the future of ICT-based practices. If anticipating and
influencing the future is something qualitatively different than
immediate research relevance, we must then ask whether and how our
approaches to inquiry can affect our ability to do so. Such reflection
would be valuable in shaping a discipline that is progressive and
confident about its role in dealing with questions about the future.

To address this need, the theme of this international working conference
of IFIP 8.2 is "Researching the Future". We encourage the submission of
"traditional" written texts (empirical work of all kinds, engaged
research, case studies, methodological and philosophical discussions),
but also non-traditional approaches and formats (e.g. descriptions of IT
artefacts, science fictions, and convincing speculative visions) which
address the future of IS and IT, and the ways to research the future of
ICT and ICT-based practices. The nature of this theme should encourage
both authors and reviewers for this conference to experiment and assess
the value of novel approaches to researching and thinking about the
futures of ICT-based research. A number of possible questions and
perspectives are identified below, recognizing and welcoming submissions
on any topic relevant to IFIP WG 8.2 beyond this specific call.
Examples of Questions to Address within the Theme

     * How can we anticipate the possible futures of ICT?
     * How does the production and communication of ICT research affect
the future?
     * How does and could research on the present shape the future?
     * How do we evaluate alternative approaches to research which
addresses and speculates on the future?
     * What are the goals and measures of success for a future-oriented
field?
     * What does a future-orientation in the field suggest about our
current debates about research epistemologies and methodologies?
     * What social and political constraints restrict the realization of
ICT futures and our role in producing them?
     * What kinds of environments facilitate a greater latitude for and
consideration of ICT futures?
     * What could be the "science" behind technological foresight?

Submission Date: **10 September 2010** (extended)

General Chairs:     Michael Myers, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Jacob Nørbjerg, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark

Organizing Chairs:     Helena Karsten, Åbo Akademi University, Turku,
Finland
Barbro Back, Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland

Program Co-Chairs:     Mike Chiasson, Lancaster University, UK
Ola Henfridsson, Viktoria Institute, Sweden & University of Oslo, Norway