[AISWorld] AIS Student Chapter Featured Speaker: Survivor's "Coach" Benjamin Wade

Tmitri Owens tmitri at aisnet.org
Thu Sep 2 15:02:22 EDT 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 30, 2010
Contact: Maggie Kempken
AIS Communications Director
communications at aisnet.org
(404) 760-4247

Association for Information Systems' Student Chapters Welcome Survivor:
Tocantins' "Coach" Benjamin Wade To October Conference

The Student Chapters of the Association for Information Systems (AIS), the
premier association for information systems (I/S) academics, are delighted
to welcome "Coach" Benjamin Wade, of CBS' Survivor: Tocantins and Survivor:
Heroes vs. Villains, as the featured speaker at the 2nd Annual Student
Chapter Conference, Saturday, October 9 at 9 a.m. on the Georgia State
University Campus. Coach, one of the most memorable-and
polarizing-contestants to appear on the popular reality series in its
ten-year history, plans to address the students about setting goals,
teamwork and strategizing; themes with which the soccer coach, musician,
athlete and 'Dragonslayer' is quite familiar. He will also participate in a
hands-on goal setting workshop immediately following the address.

"Whatever you have accomplished in the past doesn't matter anymore.  The
present is going by so fast that we can't even judge it, and all we have is
the future to focus on the goals we have set for ourselves," said Coach.
"Students getting ready to embark on their careers are at a critical stage.
I'd like to encourage them to leave their stamp, their mark, their legacy on
everything they touch, and turn their weaknesses into their new comfort
zone."

In addition to his two seasons on Survivor, Coach's colorful resume includes
an ongoing 13-year career as a collegiate women's soccer coach and a
lifelong dedication to music as a trumpet player, conductor and composer,
which led him to co-found the Susanville Symphony Orchestra in 2003, for
which he still serves as conductor today. He also continues to pursue his
acting career, having just wrapped up filming for several leading movie
roles.

"We are thrilled to have such a diverse and motivational speaker for our
Student Chapter Conference," AIS Executive Director Pete Tinsley said.
"Coach's life experiences and compelling story are the perfect complement to
what our Student Chapters stand for-preparing for excellence in the future."

AIS Student Chapters, founded in 2009, provide a forum for undergraduate and
graduate I/S students to interact with one another, both on their individual
campuses and with other student chapters from around the world. Through the
growth of the Student Chapter community, the program is also designed to
attract students to the discipline overall. Since the inception of the
initiative, more than 60 institutions worldwide representing more than 1,500
students have chartered an AIS Student Chapter.

The Association for Information Systems (AIS), founded in 1994, and hosted
by Georgia State University, is a professional organization whose purpose is
to serve as the premier global organization for academics specializing in
Information Systems. For more information about AIS or to become a member,
please visit www.aisnet.org. For more information about how to charter a
student chapter, or to find out how to register for the 2nd Annual Student
Chapter Conference, please visit http://students.aisnet.org.