[AISWorld] A little ink for the home team -- a vision for what we now call "enterprise architecture"

Kappelman, Leon Leon.Kappelman at unt.edu
Mon Sep 13 13:27:40 EDT 2010

Excerpts from article at http://www.cio.com/article/606636/ in September issue of CIO by Kim Nash:

"... a disciplined enterprise architecture can help CIOs manage the ambiguity that cloud and mobile bring, says Leon Kappelman, a professor of information systems at the University of North Texas and founding chair of the Society for Information Management's enterprise architecture group. Creating an enterprise architecture means not only laying out which technologies a company will use but also the relationships and intersections between the business processes they support.

But most companies do only half the job<http://www.cio.com/article/472429/The_Case_for_Enterprise_Architects>, Kappelman says. Often, they stop at the technology map because it is simpler to figure out than how business processes relate to each other. ...

Kappelman adds, ... "Even if we perfect the technology architecture and engineer our systems into reusable, interoperable, and therefore flexible components, we cannot stay aligned unless we can also maintain our knowledge of the business and its processes, objectives, rules and timing." ...

Kappelman, the IT professor, expects a greater evolution. The big thoughts about the creative use of technology in a business context won't stay confined to IT or enterprise architecture, he says. He likens the change to the way "scientific management<http://www.accel-team.com/scientific/scientific_02.html>" emerged in the late 1800s. Then, efficiency experts were charged with making shop floors run better. Soon, precepts developed by those scientists proliferated, influencing the work habits of all employees, Kappelman says. Everyone strove for efficiency. Likewise, he predicts, "what we now call enterprise architecture will become part of how everyone functions."
PS: The SIM Guide to Enterprise Architecture is now in its THIRD PRINTING.  Details about the book in this flyer<http://courses.unt.edu/kappelman/aboutwork/SIM%20GUIDE%20TO%20ENTERPRISE%20ARCHITECTURE%20FL20.pdf> or at eawg.simnet.org<http://eawg.simnet.org/> (including a code for a 20%-discount and free shipping when purchased from publisher's website<http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439811139>).  All author royalties go to further the work of the not-for-profit SIM EA Working Group.

"In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future.  The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer
Leon A. Kappelman, Ph.D.
    Professor of Information Systems
 Director Emeritus, Information Systems Research Center
 Fellow, Texas Center for Digital Knowledge
    College of Business, University of North Texas
    Voice: 940-565-4698   Fax: 940-565-4935  Email: kapp at unt.edu<mailto:kapp at unt.edu>
    Website: http://courses.unt.edu/kappelman/
Founding Chair, SIM Enterprise Architecture Working Group (SIMEAWG) - Website: http://eawg.simnet.org/
If you are so inclined, here are  some easy ways to follow my adventures (at least the mental and professional ones):
          DrK's Blog<http://courses.unt.edu/kappelman/blog/>: "All we will ever know is our models" - http://courses.unt.edu/kappelman/blog/
          DrK's email listserv<http://courses.unt.edu/kappelman/kapp-inv.htm> - Sign up details here http://courses.unt.edu/kappelman/kapp-inv.htm