[AISWorld] IS core content in general business degree

Peter Keenan peter.keenan at ucd.ie
Mon Oct 4 18:20:56 EDT 2010

In University College Dublin we are presently reviewing the curriculum
for our general business degree  and our degrees combining business and
a language and business and law. Within the general business degree no
more than 10% of the students currently choose a MIS minor, although
perhaps 25% may take an optional course in addition to their core.

We are trying to define the minimum IS content appropriate in a AACSB
accredited business undergraduate programme.

We can clearly argue for some IS content.
Page 69 of the AACSB accreditation criteria
http://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/business_standards.pdf
suggests that "graduates be competent in the uses of technology and
information systems in modern organizational operations"

So we have a strong argument for the inclusion of a one course based on
the IS 2010.1 Foundations of Information Systems from the IS 2010
curriculum. We are interested in making an argument for further IS
content core to all business graduates

We are interested in examples of curricula at other AACSB accredited
schools where general busines students study more than one IS course.

We are also interested in any other resources that point to the need for
business graduates to have more exposure to IS or IT related courses.

As always I'll summarise to the list.

-----
Dr Peter Keenan
Management Information Systems
UCD Business School
University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
email: Peter.Keenan at ucd.ie
url: http://mis.ucd.ie/staff/pkeenan
tel: +353 1 716-4727