[AISWorld] Global warming

Richard Watson rickwatson at mac.com
Tue Oct 19 18:54:04 EDT 2010

Dear Colleagues

Leon Kappelman has raised the important issue of global warming, which while it may be currently peripheral to IS research is certainly a key concern to IS scholars as global citizens.

We would like to provide some additional data for consideration.

First, there are several examples of humans'  impact on the  earth.  Scientists studied these large scale environmental effects. As a result, they recommended solutions, and politicians accepted their advice.

For instance
* London's smog. The great smog of 1952  is reckoned to have resulted in the premature death of 4,000 people. This led to clean air acts in many countries
* Acid rain, mainly caused by SO2
* Ozone layer depletion, primarily caused by chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) and bromofluorocarbon compounds.

Undoubtedly, some scientists benefitted financially from studying these problems and determining their causes. Maybe some played up the problem more than others, but that is the nature of advocacy when people are competing for grants. Certainly, some might have overstated a problem quite close to our domain in the late 1990s, when Y2K was a global issue, to gain additional funding for their research.

Second, a blog in the New York Times gives a more detailed perspective on Dr. Lewis' career and decision. See http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/a-physicists-climate-complaints/
The blog notes that Dr. Lewis has changed his opinion on global climate change and that 20 years ago he wrote, "All models agree that the net effect will be a general and global warming of the earth; they only disagree about how much."

Scientists, like all of us have a right to change their opinion, and change it again. However, something like 98% of scientists agree that the evidence points to significant CO2 increases since industrialization causing  global warming.

What is different about global climate change, as compared to smog, acid rain, and ozone layer depletion, is that the issue has been politicized by vested interests.

As IS scholars, we strongly believe our community has a role to play in reducing the effects of global climate change and supporting the movement to create a sustainable society.

We accept that there are a minority who will disagree with our stance, but that should not deter action and scholarship. We hope that a few naysayers and vocal skeptics do not deter you from engaging in solving the most pressing challenge of our time.

Maric Boudreau and Rick Watson