[AISWorld] SIGGreen musings

Helen Hasan hasan at uow.edu.au
Wed Oct 20 18:19:59 EDT 2010

Recent postings to AISWorld on the relationship between environmental issues and IS has prompted me to focus attention on the new AIS Special Interest Group SIGGreen.  Interest in this SIG has come from a growing number of publications, special issues of IS journals  and tracks at IS conference in this area.  As proposer of SIGGreen and interim Chair I hope that its focus is not on debating the science or politics of climate change, global warming or any other issues of environmental responsibility or sustainability.  I propose that we can, in SIGGreen, move forward to

1.       Provide a forum for those interested in using their IS knowledge and skills to work together in an area where they can contribute and potential make a different to a global challenge.

2.       Enhance the reputation of IS outside the IS community. I think we spend too much time just promoting IS stuff for IS folk.

3.       Look for ways for SIGGreen and AIS itself to become more sustainable and environmentally responsible

4.       Use the Green IS issue to do more boundary spanning.  We always claim IS is multidisciplinary - well environment challenges need solutions that crosses many discipline boundaries
We are at the moment into a program to workshop the scope of Green IS.  See details at  http://csis.pace.edu/~dwyer/SIGGreen/default.htm  We have had 20 great submissions so please join us for the next step a virtual workshop on Nov 12.
Helen

Dr Helen Hasan
Associate Professor, Information Systems,
Director of ATUL, http://www.uow.edu.au/commerce/econ/atul/
Director of the Social Innovation Network, http://research.uow.edu.au/sinet/
Leading SIGGreen of the AIS, http://greensig.atspace.org/
School of Economics Faculty of Commerce,
University of Wollongong Wollongong 2522, Australia
Phone:  +61 2 42213757 (office)
Mobile:  0419403699
Fax: +61 2 42213725
Email:  hasan at uow.edu.au<mailto:hasan at uow.edu.au>