[AISWorld] Survey on search in conceptual models

Michael Fellmann michael.fellmann at uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Nov 19 08:31:16 EST 2010

Dear Sir or Madam,

conceptual models grow to an enormous size in many modelling projects today.
Nevertheless, mature tools for supporting search in extensive model
repositories do not exist. We, the chair for information management and
information systems at the University of Osnabrueck, make a survey to
explore the needs and requirements in this field. We invite you cordially to
participate!

The survey requires maximally 8 minutes time and is online accessible under

http://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_brOTZMbIXL8FA4A

The background of this study is the fact that the tools used for the
conceptual modelling usually permit browsing or traversing models by means
of hierarchy or link structures. A sophisticated search in conceptual models
going beyond this exploration, e.g. to find specific structures, is rarely
supported by present tools. Rather, simple keyword-based search
functionalities dominate in state of the art, permitting only a syntactic
search in the model element labels.
This is in strong contrast to the search functionalities offered by tools to
retrieve information from large collections of digital information such as
the global web, local files (e.g. documents or music) or within online
shops. These tools offer a wide range of methods and user interfaces for
searching and exploring the information space.

In order to improve the situation in conceptual modelling and to extend the
search functionalities in future modelling tools, we want to investigate the
need and the requirements in this area. Therefore we would like to ask you
as an experienced designer or user of conceptual models for your opinion. If
you should have interest in the results of the survey, leave your email
address at the end of the survey. Your mail is used solely for sending the
results.

We sincerely appreciate your time and effort to participate in our survey!

Kind regards
Prof. Dr. Oliver Thomas
Michael Fellmann, M.A.

University of Osnabrueck
Institute of Information Management and Corporate Governance
Chair in Information Management and Information Systems
Katharinenstrasse 3, 49069 Osnabrueck (Germany)
Phone: +49 (0)541/969-4810
E-mail: {michael.fellmann|oliver.thomas}@uni-osnabrueck.de
Internet: http://www.imwi.uos.de/