[AISWorld] SCIS 2011 Call for Participation - The Second Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems

Timo.Lainema at tse.fi Timo.Lainema at tse.fi
Wed Dec 1 09:48:10 EST 2010

Dear Recipient,

Please find below the call for papers for the Second Scandinavian Conference of Information Systems (SCIS 2011), to be held in Turku, Finland 16.-19.8.2011. Feel free to circulate this call for papers further to potential contributors.

Looking forward to meeting you next August in Turku.

Reima Suomi                        Hannu Salmela
Conference Chair               Program Chair

********************************
Call for papers
The Second Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems - SCIS 2011
August 16th - 19th, 2011, Turku Finland

ICT of Culture - Culture of ICT

Theme

During the 21st century our society, culture and personal lives will be deeply influenced by advances in information and communication technology. Social media and social virtual worlds have already started transforming individuals from passive information consumers to active creators and distributors of information, knowledge and arts. We can already play with the idea that our technological capability will enable us to digitize everything that anyone has ever said and store it in Internet servers.

Issues of interest to our conference are among others:
How does all this affect our society and culture? How should the media industry and other companies capitalize on the new empowered consumer? How does this transformation change our concept of the welfare society? What is the role of customer and partner communities? How do we integrate information systems to face this very fast moving new "culture of ICT"? How do we foster inter-organisational information systems evolution and improved supply of products and services? Or is it just a new fad which will find its way to a normal evolution of ICT use, design and management?

This transformation will also affect our own IS profession. IT is not created in a vacuum or designed somewhere outside our society. The new applications of ICT are increasingly a product of the surrounding society and culture. Furthermore, the cultural context where the IS development takes place is becoming increasingly diverse. Implementation of applications and practices of their use takes place in groups that involve members from different national, organizational, and professional sub-cultures. The development is increasingly driven by professionals from other fields and even by consumers. How can we manage and take advantage of this cultural diversity in our development teams? What are the challenges that different cultural backgrounds create in the teams that plan, design and implement new applications?

Tracks

Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems is open for all kinds of submissions that present innovative contributions for a specified IS research field. However, to promote discussion between research papers, keynote speeches, and panels, the contributions will be divided into the following three research tracks:

(1) The impact of Internet and social software evolution on our society and culture: The track focuses on the cultural, organisational, financial and ethical considerations related to adopting Internet and social software network or media in different sectors of the society, e.g. media industry, other industries, public services and health services.
(2) Designing intelligent systems for data retrieval: The track focuses on infrastructures, tools and techniques that facilitate the conversion of large quantities of digital data and very large databases into meaningful information for corporate managers, public policy makers and consumers.
(3) Cross-cultural issues in IS development: The track focuses on managing and exploiting cultural diversity in the planning, development and implementation of e.g. cross-border, inter-organizational, open-source and crowd-sourced information systems.

We will consider all types of papers that clearly contribute to their specific IS research fields. However, papers contributing to the cultural aspects and/or to the topics of the three tracks will take priority in the review process.

Further information will be provided at http://2011.scandinavian-iris.org/

Proceedings
The proceedings of the Second SCIS conference will be published in the Springer series 'Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing'.

Conference Venue
This Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems will be held in 16th - 19th of August 2011 in Turku, Finland, in conjunction with the traditional IRIS seminar. The conference will take place in the Ruissalo Spa (http://www.ruissalospa.fi) located on the beautiful island of Ruissalo.

Important Dates
Submissions due: February 1st, 2011
Editorial decisions sent to authors: March 15th, 2011
Submissions of final versions: April 15th, 2011
Notification of acceptance for SCIS: May 15th, 2011
Deadline for authors to register to the conference (with early bird fee): June 20th
SCIS/IRIS, Ruissalo, Turku, Finland: August 16th-19th, 2011

Instructions for Submission
Authors should follow the submission guidelines for the conference published at the conference's Web site http://2011.scandinavian-iris.org/

Main organizer
Turku School of Economics
University of Turku
Under the auspices of the IRIS Association (http://iris.cs.aau.dk/index.php/welcome.48.html)

Partners
Åbo Akademi University
Turku University of Applied Sciences

Timo Lainema, PhD
Assistant Professor (Turku School of Economics / Inf. Syst. Science)
Adjunct Professor (Education / University of Turku)