[AISWorld] EJIS and the Design Science Stepchild

Richard Baskerville baskerville at acm.org
Wed Dec 8 00:24:27 EST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

The pressures to publish unfold differently in different regions.  In
the German-speaking IS research communities, 111 professors signed a
memorandum dealing with principles for design science research.  This
"manifesto" unleashed an intense German debate about the relation and
value of design science versus behavioral research.  In the
forthcoming February 2011 issue of EJIS, we publish an editorial that
provides and overview of this debate ("The inflation of academic
intellectual capital: the case for design science research in Europe"):

http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ejis/journal/vaop/ncurrent/pdf/ejis201057a.pdf

We also publish an English translation of the memorandum ("Memorandum
on design-oriented information systems research"):

http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ejis/journal/vaop/ncurrent/pdf/ejis201055a.pdf

Because the memorandum asserts a publication bias exists among
leading IS journals against design science research, we also publish
a rebuttal by Richard Baskerville, Kalle Lyytinen, Samba Sambamurthy
and Detmar Straub ("A response to the design-oriented information
systems research memorandum"):

  http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ejis/journal/vaop/ncurrent/pdf/ejis201056a.pdf

Because such debates are familiar in many other parts of the world,
but so rarely captured in print, Palgrave Macmillan and the OR
Society have made the advance, full-length copies of these articles
available free-of-charge from the EJIS website at the links
above.  We trust the Germanic discourse will inform globally.

Richard Baskerville, EIC EJIS

(ps.  suspicious of email links?  Google "EJIS" and select "Advance
online publication" from the EJIS homepage.  /r)

// Richard Baskerville, CIS Dept., Georgia State University
// 35 Broad Street NW, PO Box 4015, Atlanta, Ga 30302
// Tel. +1 404.413.7362   Fax 413.7394
// Web http://cis.gsu.edu/~rbaskerv