[AISWorld] IT literacy teaching modules

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Sat Jan 22 07:36:50 EST 2011

Folks,

I am working on a collection of IT literacy teaching modules, and would
appreciate your forwarding this to anyone on your campus who might want
to use one or more of them.

Each module focuses on one or a few related skills or concepts, and I
typically cover three or four per classroom hour.

Modules include original PowerPoint presentations (with no boring text
or bullet points), videos of the presentations, presentation
transcripts, assignments, etc.  The videos are all under 10 minutes.

The presentation format is:

+ List of concepts or skills covered
+ Place it fits in the course outline
+ Body of the presentation
+ Summary, resource links and self-study questions

So far, I have 81 modules in various states of completion.  I used each
of them last semester, and plan to add enough this semester to cover
two, overlapping IT literacy courses, one for general students and one
for IT majors.

The modules and assignments are stored as blog posts, so each has a
unique URL and tag terms for retrieval.  That makes it easy to use a
single module, put together a custom list on a topic, or, as I do, an
entire course.

The e-text start page with links to the topic modules is at:

http://cis275topics.blogspot.com/2010/09/about-our-electronic-text.html

Larry