[AISWorld] Status of Your Institution's Fundamentals of IT / Computer Tools Course

Michael Posey mcposey at ualr.edu
Fri Feb 4 23:53:22 EST 2011

Greetings all,

Not too long ago, I believe that information was posted on the listserv
about whether colleges of business were altering / eliminating the
Principles of IS course from their core undergraduate curriculums; however,
I have not seen much information about recent changes by academic
institutions regarding the Fundamentals of IT / Computer Tools course, which
has traditionally been taught from a skills-based approach with popular
software suites (e.g., MS Office).  Some schools allocate a traditional,
face-to-face classroom environment for such a course, whereas others have
chosen a completely on-line assessment tool (e.g., SAM, SimNet) or have
perhaps even eliminated the course altogether leaving the students to "learn
the skills on their own."

That being said, I am very interested to hear your answers to the following:

(1) What, if anything, has your institution done with this course?
(2) If changes were made, what caused those changes to occur?
(3) If changes were made, how have they impacted student learning /
engagement in the course and / or other courses?
(4) Any other ideas / issues not mentioned in the three questions above that
you would like to comment on?

As is customary, I will compile the responses and disseminate them back to
the listserv members.

Thanks,
Clay

Clay Posey, D.B.A.