[AISWorld] Salary Survey

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Wed Jun 29 08:39:32 EDT 2011

To the IS community:

Since 1998 I have conducted an annual salary offer survey for PhD graduates in MIS programs. Each year, people send offer information via the website http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta/salsurv.html and the data table can be seen by clicking on the year you'd like to see from the most current set http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta/2010sals.html.

Over time, participation in the survey has been dwindling. We started with nearly a hundred assistant professor offer submissions, and recently we had to settle for about two or three dozen over each of the last three years. Unfortunately, there are only _two_ submissions for the 2010-2011 school year, a year we just completed. Before launching the survey for offers for this fall, I would like to make a final plea for those of you who received offers for the 2010-2011 academic year: please click the link above and complete the survey (either anonymously or non-anonymously). This would represent offers you received about a year ago for starting your job in fall 2010 (or spring 2011).

I'm hoping that we can grow the pathetic little table into one that includes at least a few dozen offers, resulting in data that are more meaningful for summary statistics. It would at least be nice to have more records than fields!

After about two weeks, I will start the 2011-2012 survey. Please do not enter any 2011-2012 numbers until I provide my standard announcement to close the year, including a summary of the results. If I receive too few surveys in the next couple of weeks, the survey might just have run its course, and might need to be discontinued. Many have remarked that the survey was helpful for salary discussions, so it would be a shame to lose this resource. If there are not enough entries, my note in two weeks will close out this effort and leave future efforts to the AACSB. The AACSB, by the way, concentrates on current salaries, not offers. The goal is somewhat different from this _offer_ survey, which promises to avoid any salary compression from biasing the results.

Please note that this morning the site is very slow. Please be patient and the text-only forms and pages will load after about 30 seconds. I assume this will be fixed very soon.

DG

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                    Katz Graduate School of Business
342 Mervis Hall                                        Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Phone +1 412-648-1699                                    Fax +1 412-648-1693
E-mail: galletta @                                         homepage:
        katz.pitt.edu                                 www.pitt.edu/~galletta<http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta>