[AISWorld] Introducing "ICIS in the Classroom"

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Fri Jul 8 13:25:42 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues, we are very pleased to introduce a new initiative at ICIS 2011 entitled "ICIS in the Classroom."

It will be held Sunday, December 4, at the Shanghai Convention Center. This idea can enable you to leverage the expertise of four well-known individuals, and share that expertise with your students. We also believe you will be able to use a session or two as on-line class sessions in case you will be missing any classes to attend ICIS. Given the record number of submissions, there will be a great many people traveling from all over the world during the interval in which ICIS and ancillary events such as workshops and SIG meetings take place.  (Aside: On a personal note, I recently made my flight reservations and found that I only need to miss one of my Tues-Thurs class sessions to attend ICIS in Shanghai. Also, the flight was only $1,162, which was surprising given that a recent flight to Amsterdam was over $1,750. I'd recommend making reservations as soon as possible to take advantage of the lower oil prices we are now enjoying.)

I'm very pleased to announce that Vivek Choudhury and Jeanne Ross have graciously agreed to serve as the first co-chairs of this initiative. They have engaged four experts on various topics that would fit well not only the required MBA course in Information Systems, but also elective courses such as MIS Management or IT Strategy. And Jeanne is even serving double-duty, as you'll see below, working also as a presenter.

I'm proud to present their official announcement about the initiative:

---------------------------------------

Perhaps more than in any other discipline, IS Academics are expected to teach a wide variety of topics, especially if they teach the core MBA course. Combined with the constant changes in the field, this presents a continual challenge to stay current on topics that are often well outside our own research domains. Wouldn't it be nice if we could leverage the expertise of the world's renowned experts on each topic? We are pleased to present "ICIS in the Classroom."

This new idea will be introduced for the first time at ICIS in Shanghai. While ICIS has always been a venue for the exchange of research ideas, this year we are adding this segment dedicated to teaching-with a new twist. It will provide either a session you can assign students to view in an on-line format, or it will provide you with excellent material to teach this topic yourself.

Four leading experts on a range of topics have agreed to share with us overviews of their subjects, not from a research perspective, but as they would introduce the topic to an MBA audience:

*         Jeanne Ross on Enterprise Architecture

*         Rajiv Saberwal on Knowledge Management

*         Peter Weill on IT Governance

*         Jim Wetherbe on Communications Skills
Each 90-minute session will feature an MBA-level presentation followed by interaction among attendees and presenter on teaching methods, exercises, and valuable materials.  The sessions will be recorded and distributed free of charge via the Internet.
So the next time you are wondering how to teach Enterprise Architecture or Knowledge Management, you can share the video with your class. Or assign the video as background reading before a case discussion. Or, if you need to miss a session in your course in order to attend ICIS, use one of these videos as a stand-in (we aim to make them available starting December 5th).

Join us for what promises to be a dynamic and exciting day.

I am indebted to Vivek and Jeanne for their hard work on this project.

DG

Dennis F. Galletta    Professor of Bus. Admin. and Doctoral Program Director
University of Pittsburgh                    Katz Graduate School of Business
282 Mervis Hall                                        Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Phone +1 412-648-1699                                    Fax +1 412-648-1693
E-mail: galletta @                                         homepage:
        katz.pitt.edu                                 www.pitt.edu/~galletta<http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta>