[AISWorld] Course content re computers, simulations, models, decision making, software and model testing?

Swartz, Steve Steve.Swartz at unt.edu
Sat Jul 30 15:39:17 EDT 2011

Leon:

Indeed . . . I will give it some thought.  Perhaps we can sit down over coffee (or stronger!) and chat.

In the meantime, first thoughts:

- Early on I took a "theory of science" class as part of an engineering curriculum at Big State U.  I remember the discussion of modeling (closed form and discrete system) and models.  Picture a Venn digram with two "mostly" overlapping geometric forms.  One is ugly, with ill-defined edges, fuzzy borders that trail off in palces, and mysterious tentacles and voids.  Reality.  The other shape is a nice tetrahedron made up of irregular, but clean and straight sides (alle es en ordnung).  The Model.  The professor (classic 1950s grey buzz cut, bowtie or string tie, pocket protector, NASA-style Vuarnets, the whole 9 yards) kicked off the discussion this way:  "There are only two problems with drawing inferences from models.  First, there are things the model does, that do not exist in reality.  Second, there are infinitely many more things that reality does, that the model does not.  Analog, Digital, Iconic, Dynamic, Static, Adaptive, or whatever.  Gentlemen, when you work with models you are F'd [ed note: yes, an engineering professor dropped the F-Bomb in a 1981 classroom].  And worse yet- models look like controlled laboratories, smell like controlled laboratories, and might quack like controlled laboratories- but never forget they are only laboratories of the imagination and conjecture of their designers.  So let's talk about building good models."

- Many years later in my doctoral program (different Big State U) I took a class called "Lying With Statistics."  [I think the real title was "processing and display of analysis" or some such]  Many of us have had classes like that; use Pauli's (?) "A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper" as a textbook and demonstrates myriad ways to construct tables, graphs, etc. and write compelling fiction about sets of data.

The advantage of spending so much time in the classroom as a student in various disciplines is that we see some really, really, great ways of communicating critical thinking perspectives that can address the root of problems like these [Asimov wrote some great stuff about "layman-izing" technical material "for the masses"].  The downside is we also can appreciate how rare these great teachers and lessons can be.

I'm assuming, of course, the "root of the problem" is the inability of the average journalism school graduate to communicate complex technical subjects to an equally woefully unprepared public.  And the inability of consumers of technical communications to properly draw inference from the results and findings presented; ie properly calibrated BS Detectors.

And yes, self-promoting charlatans in the scientific community who prey on the weaknesses of a frightened and ignorant public to line their own pockets and serve their own agendas.  That's probably part of the problem too.

Stephen M. Swartz, PhD, CTL
Associate Professor of Logistics Management
Department of Marketing and Logistics
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #311396
Denton, TX 76203-5017