[AISWorld] IS Enrollments

Iris Vessey i.vessey at business.uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 9 22:11:04 EDT 2011

The Computer Science academic discipline is deeply concerned about the undergraduate enrollment of women, which peaked in the mid-1980s and has dropped drastically since then.  I am wondering if the same thing iS true in Information Systems.  Most CS people assume that all "computing" fields were afflicted in the same way, but I've seen a small amount of data that suggests that may not be true for iS.   I'd be interested in hearing from someone who could pursue the undergraduate enrollment data at their institution from the early 1980s time period to somewhere around the turn of the century to see what is true.  If my suspicion is correct, and IS has not suffered this "gender gap," then it is a problem that Computer Science needs to work on its own turf, and not involve other disciplines in their concern and attempts at solution.

Please respond to me at:  rlglass at acm.org<mailto:rlglass at acm.org>

I will post a summary of responses to the list.

Bob

Robert L. Glass
18 View St.
Paddington QLD 4064