[AISWorld] New Shanghai travel and tour information - important!

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:23:54 EDT 2011

There have been several positive developments on the issue of travel to Shanghai for ICIS 2011. All of this (except the last) can be found on the ICIS 2011 website http://icis2011.aisnet.org/Travel.html.

These issues range from (1) visa applications to (2) tours that you can take before and after the conference to (3) hotel reservations to (4) reduced flight costs once again. The first three topics are discussed in detail on the travel portion of our ICIS 2011 website http://icis2011.aisnet.org/Travel.html. This email is merely to alert you to those resources.

1.       Visa applications: You will need a visa to enter China. The documents vary from country to country, and the ICIS travel website cited above has instructions and resources to help.

2.       Tours: Thanks to initial efforts by Rob Nickerson (San Francisco State), Hope Koch (Baylor), and Theresa Edgington (Baylor), as well as legwork by Xianghua Lu (Fudan) and David Phang (Fudan), plus Lise Fitzpatrick from our helpful AIS Office, we negotiated with three different tour companies and have a slate of interesting tours from two of them. Some of the tours occur before ICIS, some are during ICIS (for family member visitors), and some follow ICIS.  We will not be selling the tours in our conference registration, but provide the links at the web site above. Please remember to register for the conference at http://icis2011.aisnet.org/Conference_Registration.html.

3.       Hotel reservations. On the Hotel Reservations page at the ICIS website (http://icis2011.aisnet.org/Hotel_Reservation.html), you can find all the information you need for making your reservations. We have two excellent options, which include breakfast and internet access. If you wait too long to reserve your room and these two hotels are sold out, there are also some large nearby premium hotels (for example, Ritz-Carlton and Shangri-La) and the SHICC (Shanghai International Conference Center) is near metro line #2--giving you even more options. As the hotels begin filling up, we will begin providing information about other hotel options. Thanks to Shu Schiller at Wright State University for setting up a 3D visualization of the path from the Grand Melia to the SHICC<http://map.baidu.com/?newmap=1&l=17&tn=B_DIMENSIONAL_MAP&c=1078250,8938580&cc=sh&msi=|binguan&s=cur%26curtp%3D0%26wd%3D%E4%B8%8A%E6%B5%B7&sc=1&mapShareId=67fa25e6fbe5fe527fc876c7> on Baidu.

4.       Reduced flight costs: The flights I checked in my last report are even more reasonable now. Again I checked what are likely to be the highest prices: flights from various parts of the USA and also London (far western Europe). These are Delta flights departing on December 2 for Shanghai and returning on December 7. Having just flown to Amsterdam for a few hundred shy of $2,000, these prices look excellent.

Note: These prices are in US dollars and include all fees and taxes.

USA: from Boston $913.20, from Pittsburgh $967.20, from Orlando $1075.20, and from LAX $874.70.
UK: from London: £646.73

We look forward to your attendance at ICIS 2011!

Dennis Galletta and Ting-Peng Liang
Co-Chairs, ICIS 2011

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                 and Director, Katz Doctoral Program
282a Mervis Hall                            Katz Graduate School of Business
Phone +1 412-648-1699                                  Pittsburgh, PA  15260
E-mail: galletta @                                       Fax +1 412-648-1693
        katz.pitt.edu                       homepage: www.pitt.edu/~galletta<http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta>