[AISWorld] 2011-2012 AIS Student Competition - Call for Track Proposals - 2nd and Final Call

Tom Meservy tmeservy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 23:17:39 EDT 2011

Colleagues:

The inaugural AIS Student Competition is planned for the 2011-2012 school
year. It will consist of a virtual component late this Fall and an onsite
competition in April, 2012. The success of this inaugural student
competition is largely dependent upon the support we get from faculty.

*The purpose of this email is to solicit your help in the following:

  1) proposing a the format and composition of a competition track, and
  2) running and judging a track (although if you can't run a track,
consider at least proposing one)
*
The plan is to run 6-8 tracks, and we need proposals from you for the format
and compositions of the individual competitions.  In short, please consider
proposing a track by September 18 (deadline extended).  Although we would
appreciate your help/expertise in preparing materials and evaluating
participants in the proposed track, it is not required.  To propose a track
please fill out the following survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PHLW6XM.
Sample proposals can be found at http://tinyurl.com/3qnntvc.

Please see below for more information about the competition and certainly
let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Thomas Meservy and Kelly Fadel
2011-2012 AIS Student Competition Co-Chairs

*2011-2012 AIS Student Competition
Call for Track Proposals
*
The AIS student chapter initiative is gaining momentum, and many of you have
been actively involved with AIS student chapters. We are excited to announce
this year’s inaugural AIS Student Competition, and we request your
participation in making it a success for our students.

The student competition is divided into one or more tracks based on
submitted and approved track proposals.  Competition within each track is
divided into two main phases: 1) an initial virtual component that any
student/team can participate in and 2) an onsite, face-to-face student
competition for the top teams in each track from the virtual competition.
The virtual competition will begin November 1st.  This year’s onsite
competition will be held at BYU in Provo, UT on April 26-28, 2012 and will
co-occur with the AIS Student Leadership conference.

With this call, we are requesting proposals for competition tracks from you
and your students.  Content areas for each track may vary from year to year
depending on the interest of the students and the faculty track chairs.

*Competition Tracks
*
The AIS student competition seeks to provide competition tracks in a wide
variety of content areas related to the Information Systems discipline.  The
precise format of the competition will likely vary between these tracks.
Possible competition content areas may include but are not limited to:
·  Foundations of IS
·  Enterprise Architecture
·  IS Strategy, Management and Acquisition
·  Data and Information Management
·  Systems Analysis and Design
·  IT Infrastructure
·  Project Management
·  Application Development
·  Business Process Management
·  Collaborative Computing
·  Data Mining/Business Intelligence
·  Enterprise Systems
·  Human-Computer Interaction
·  Information Search and Retrieval
·  IT Audit and Controls
·  IT Security and Risk Management
·  Knowledge Management
·  Social Informatics

*Proposals
*
Track proposals should consist of the following information:
·  Topic
·  General description of your vision of what would be required for the
virtual component and also the face to face component (not necessarily the
same)
·  Suggested track chair (self-nominations preferable)
Sample proposals can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/3qnntvc<https://pod51009.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=ge5rIA2mMk2g6tnI9dnKryMsTz7qRs4IceO3jVX9MHM0sCJqvEpKujXsKIfiFGBlMMs541Qo4B4.&URL=http%3a%2f%2ftinyurl.com%2f3qnntvc>.
Proposals should be submitted by filling out the following survey at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PHLW6XM<https://pod51009.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=ge5rIA2mMk2g6tnI9dnKryMsTz7qRs4IceO3jVX9MHM0sCJqvEpKujXsKIfiFGBlMMs541Qo4B4.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.surveymonkey.com%2fs%2fPHLW6XM>
 or alternatively can be submitted to tmeservy at memphis.edu. Proposals are
due by September 18 (deadline extended).

*Track Chair Responsibilities
*
We are also seeking track chairs to oversee each content area. Come join us
and share with us your expertise.  Track chairs are generally responsible
for all aspects of the competition for that track.  Responsibilities
include:
·  Creating competition content for the track
·  Assembling a panel of judges including a representative from industry
·  Determining judging criteria for submissions
·  Evaluating track submissions

*General Dates
*
The following are general dates for the competition.
·  September 15, 2011 – Deadline for Track Proposals (acceptance
notification within a week following deadline)
·  October 15 – Track materials due
·  November 1 – Virtual competition begins
·  January 1 – Virtual competition materials due; judging begins
·  First week of February  - Notification of results
·  April 26-28 – Onsite Competition

*Event Website
*
For more information about the competition and the leadership conference
that will occur April 26-28, 2012, please see the event website:
http://www.ais2012.com/<https://pod51009.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=ge5rIA2mMk2g6tnI9dnKryMsTz7qRs4IceO3jVX9MHM0sCJqvEpKujXsKIfiFGBlMMs541Qo4B4.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ais2012.com%2f>

Thomas Meservy
Assistant Professor of MIS and
FedEx Institute of Technology STEP Research Fellow
University of Memphis
Memphis, TN 38152