[AISWorld] Senior faculty position in Human-Computer Interaction at UM School of Information

Robert, Lionel lprobert at umich.edu
Fri Sep 16 11:51:33 EDT 2011

Senior faculty position in Human-Computer Interaction

Rank: Associate or Full Professor

The School of Information at the University of Michigan seeks an outstanding candidate at the associate or full professor rank in the field of human-computer interaction (HCI). For this position, we aspire to recruit an accomplished researcher and intellectual leader who will initiate a vigorous research agenda and help strengthen our doctoral and masters programs in HCI.

The successful candidate will join a large interdisciplinary community engaged in research on interactive and social computing, with dozens of faculty and graduate students spanning this School, Art and Design, Engineering, and Psychology, among other units across the university. For more information about School of Information research and activities related to HCI, see http://misc.si.umich.edu/.

For all SI positions, we favor candidates whose research interests complement our existing expertise in such areas as computer-supported cooperative work; digital archives and preservation; human-computer interaction; incentive-centered design and information economics; information seeking, sharing and use; Internet-scale data, network and text analysis; social computing and informatics.

The mission of the School of Information is to create knowledge so people can use information and technology to build a better world, and to educate socially-engaged information professionals. A successful candidate will be committed to, and will directly contribute to our goal of being the best research and teaching institution in socially engaged information and computing.

The School is home to a dynamic and vibrant research and teaching program, with 35 FTE faculty, over 50 doctoral students, and over 400 students in its professional program, the Master of Science in Information. The School is commencing a new master's program, in Health Informatics, in fall 2012, offered jointly with the School of Public Health.  In partnership with other units, we recently launched an undergraduate informatics major.

Founded in 1817, the University of Michigan has a long and distinguished history as one of the first public universities in the nation. It is one of only two public institutions consistently ranked among the nation's top ten universities. The University has one of the largest health care complexes in the world and one of the best library systems in the United States. With more than $1 billion in research expenditures annually, the University has the second largest research expenditure among all universities in the nation. The University has an annual general fund budget of more than $1.4 billion and an endowment valued at more than $7.57 billion.

Qualifications:

  *   A Ph.D. in an area such as human-centered computing, design, computer science, sociology, psychology, computer-supported cooperative work, communication studies, or related fields concerned with human-computer interaction
  *   Demonstrated excellence in teaching
  *   Demonstrated record of high scholarly impact
  *   A strong commitment to teaching, interdisciplinary research, and cultural diversity
Review of applications will begin December 1 and continue until the position is filled. For more information or to apply, please visit http://www.si.umich.edu/aboutsi/hci-senior

The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action educator and employer.