[AISWorld] Cross-Cultural Research in Information Systems (CCRIS), pre-ICIS meeting

Allen S. Lee allenslee at alum.mit.edu
Thu Oct 13 18:48:35 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce details of this year’s Cross-Cultural Research in Information Systems (CCRIS), pre-ICIS meeting.

The meeting will be held on Dec 4th from 1400-1700 in the Novotel Atlantis, a short cab (or metro) ride from the Shanghai International Convention Centre (SICC). Although being offsite is a little less convenient, it does mean that we can keep costs low – the meeting fee will be CNY100 (approx US$15.7, £10, €11.4, HK$122). Moreover, we will arrange student helpers to bring participants from the conference hotels/conference centre to the meeting.

You can find the Novotel Atlantis here: http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3019-novotel-shanghai-atlantis/index.shtml. Address: 728 Pudong Avenue. Metro: Line 4: Pudong Avenue.

Meeting Agenda:

1400: Welcome & Introduction from Workshop Chairs – Allen Lee and Robert Davison

1415: Panel Conducting Mixed Methods Research in Information Systems

Panelists: Sue Brown, Allen Lee and Viswanath Venkatesh

Research methods that combine or "mix" quantitative and qualitative  approaches in the same research inquiry can help develop rich insights  into various information systems phenomena. However, there is a  dearth of mixed methods research in information systems (IS). This  panel will offer some guidelines for conducting mixed methods research  in IS. The guidelines involve (a) appropriateness of a mixed methods  approach; (b) development of meta-inferences-i.e., substantive  theory-from mixed methods research; (c) assessment of the quality of  meta-inferences-i.e., validation of mixed methods research; and (d)  the potential of and necessity for mixed methods in cross-cultural  information systems research.

1500 – Break (Drinks and Snacks are provided)

1510 Paper 1  Enacting Innovative Capabilities through a ‘Knowledge Reservoir’: Cases from Chinese Hi-Tech SMEs – Michael Cao

1540 Paper 2 – Micro-outsourcing in China – Tim Olsen

1610 Tutorial on Designing, Conducting and Publishing Interpretive Research – Robert Davison and Yingqin Zheng

1650 – Closing remarks

1700 – Finish and move to conference centre for ICIS Welcoming Reception at 1800

Since space for this meeting is limited, we strongly advise you to preregister. If you would like a student helper to bring you to the meeting venue, please let us know in advance and we will make the necessary arrangements.

We look forward to seeing you in Shanghai

Robert Davison (City University of Hong Kong) – isrobert at cityu.edu.hk
Allen Lee (Virginia Commonwealth University) – allenslee at alum.mit.edu