[AISWorld] SIGPhilosophy Workshop on Reconciling the Social and Technical-Still a few paper slots available

Nik Hassan nhassan at d.umn.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:34:56 EDT 2011

Dear all,
If you were thinking of submitting to the SIGPhil Workshop on Reconciling
the Social and the Technical at ICIS, there are a few slots for papers
available.  The deadline is tonight (midnight CST). So far the following
papers will be presented as part for the workshop program. Details for the
workshop is provided below:

Steven Alter – "Reconciling the Social/Human and Technical/Material in IS
Research without Trying too Hard"
Sebastian Boell – "Theorizing Information – From Signs to Sociomaterial
Practices"
Jan Kroeze – "The Mutualistic Relationship between Information Systems and
the Humanities"
Alan Litchfield – "Arguments for the adoption of a heuristic approach to IS
Research"
Dirk Postma – "Towards critical medical practice: nursing practice and an
EMR system"
Shirley Ou Yang – "Questions Concerning Information Communication
Technology--M. Heidegger vs. M. McLuhan"

Don't forget to consider attending the SIGPhil workshop scheduled
concurrently with ICIS 2011 in Shanghai. This workshop is open to everyone
regardless of career stage or background in philosophy. Please read details
below:

1. DON'T HAVE TO SUBMIT A PAPER TO ATTEND THE WORKSHOP. We can provide
support letters for anyone wishing to attend.
2. Dinner is covered for both evenings with registration. NO NEED TO PAY
FOR EXTRA DAYS for the workshop or hotel accommodations
3. Listen to thought leaders in the field on an exciting topic that shapes
the core of our research-where are we in reconciling the social and the
technical in our field?
4. Learn and share in a casual and friendly atmosphere

Look out for the SIGPhil Workshop in the ancillary meetings page on the
ICIS registration form

Nik R. Hassan
Chair, SIGPhil, nhassan at d.umn.edu

*CONCURRENT – ICIS 2011*

*SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP PHILOSOPHY AND EPISTEMOLOGY OF IS (SIGPHIL)
WORKSHOP ON*

*RECONCILING THE SOCIAL AND TECHNICAL IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS RESEARCH*

*Shanghai, China - December 4-5, 2011*

In conjunction with the 2011 International Conference of Information
Systems (ICIS), the AIS Special Interest Group on the Philosophy and
Epistemology of Information Systems (AIS-SIGPHIL) will hold its first
concurrent-ICIS SIGPHIL Research Workshop during two evenings of the ICIS
conference in Shanghai, China. Although labeled as a workshop, this event
provides an opportunity to attend the ICIS conference and at the same time
spend quality time with thought leaders of the IS community in an informal
and friendly environment.

*WORKSHOP PRESENTERS AND ADVISORY COMMITTEE (in alphabetical order)*

Dubravka Cecez-Kecmanovic, University of New South Wales, Australia

Shirley Gregor, Australian National Universitym, Australia

Allen Lee, Virginia Commonwealth University, US

Emmanuel Monod, Paris Dauphine University, France

Suprateek Sarker, Washington State University, US

Yair Wand, University of British Columbia, Canada

Ron Weber, Monash University, Australia

*PROGRAM *

Since its infancy, IS research has struggled to reconcile the technological
and the human/social nature of information systems, and to investigate them
in a comprehensive and coherent way. This workshop compares traditional
sociotechnical approaches with the emerging sociomaterial approach that
explores new ways of seeing and theorizing IS without separating the
technological from the social.

*Sun, Dec 4, 2011 (Arrival day)*

5:00-6:00pm Early Dinner

6:00pm ICIS reception

7:00-8:00pm Presentation/Discussion led by Prof. Allen Lee on the
“Relevance of Philosophy for IS.”

8:00-9:00pm Presentation/Panel discussion led by Prof. Ron Weber focusing
on sociotechnical approaches and theories in IS research.

9:00-10:00pm Workshop paper reviews

*Mon, Dec 5, 2011*

5:30-7:00pm Dinner

7:00-8:00pm Presentation by Prof. Dubravka Cecez-Kecmanovic

Prof Cecez-Kecmanovic will be introducing and discussing the sociomaterial
approach to IS research and sharing latest updates on MIS Quarterly’s
special issue on sociomateriality.

9:00-9:45pm Workshop paper reviews

9:45-10:00pm Workshop wrap-up

*WORKSHOP PAPER REVIEWS*

We invite you to submit your philosophy-related works, or works-in-progress
to be reviewed by selected discussants. Papers can be as short as 2 pages
or full-length papers. Papers should be designed to encourage in-depth
discussion during the workshop. Submitting authors will present their
papers and discussants will be selected to discuss each paper. We are
particularly interested in papers that address domain-specific
philosophical perspectives that contribute to the progress and stewardship
of their domains such that the IS field can truly meet the needs of
society. Regardless of which IS specialty we lay claim to, we are more than
ever in need of philosophical perspectives to guide our collective
understanding of what we do as researchers. However, we welcome all papers
on any IS philosophy-related topics. Doctoral students and junior faculty
members are especially encouraged to submit their research. Student papers
will be given special consideration. The SIGPhil can provide written
confirmation for authors needing support for conference travel. Submit all
papers to nhassan at d.umn.edu before October 31st, 2011.

*Important Information and dates:*

Register for ICIS Conference and workshop as early as possible

Workshop Registration Fee: $80 includes two dinners.

Submission deadline for workshop papers: October 31st, 2011

Discussant for paper appointed: November 15th, 2011

*BACKGROUND*

Association for Information Systems (AIS) Special Interest Group on
Philosophy and Epistemology (SIGPhilosophy)

The SIGPhilosophy provides a focal point for philosophy-related topics and
discussions in information systems (IS) research that are currently
dispersed over many conference proceedings, journals and books. By drawing
on the philosophical literature, the SIGPhilosophy seeks to strengthen the
exchange of ideas and community ties within the AIS and with other
disciplines, especially the human, cultural and social sciences, and
ultimately enhance IS research and the application of research results. The
SIGPhilosophy manages a new home Wiki page at
http://education.aisnet.org/sigphilwiki and a listserv that members of the
AIS can sign up for at http://www.aisnet.org/ais_lists/memberslists.aspx.

--
Nik R. Hassan, PhD