[AISWorld] Could we have your 'five cents' on what the IS field should do NOW

Niels Bjørn-Andersen nba.itm at cbs.dk
Fri Nov 4 12:05:57 EDT 2011

Dear colleague,
Would you please seriously consider to add your voice to that of your colleagues? And why not do it right NOW before you forget.
It will only take five minutes.
See mail below
Best regards
Niels Bjorn-Andersen

  What should we do to nurture a thriving IS community?

-- Click here to contribute your best ideas and to participate in a crowdsourcing challenge for the IS community:

http://icis.innovationportal.eu/

Although our community has grappled with this question since its inception, no clear consensus about how to address this challenge has emerged. Building on the tenets of crowdsourcing, we believe that the IS community can step forward to tackle the underlying issues and harness its collective capabilities to invigorate our scholarly enterprise.

Subsequently, we have set up a crowdsourcing challenge asking for your best insights on how to nurture a thriving IS community. You may think of multiple directions to pursue this challenge including research-oriented approaches, teaching-oriented approaches, practitioner-oriented approaches, etc.

The first phase of the crowdsourcing is open until 14 November 2011. We will gather the most intriguing ideas and present them in a panel at ICIS 2011 in Shanghai. The panelists will debate about the desired and possible futures of the IS discipline based on your contributions. They include Ritu Agarwal (University of Maryland), Niels Bjorn-Andersen (Coopehagen Business School), Varun Grover (Clemson University), Eldon Li (National Chengchi University in Taiwan), and Dov Te'eni (Tel Aviv University). The contributors to the effort will be recognized in the slides during the presentation and subsequent reports.

** To contribute your ideas, please go to http://icis.innovationportal.eu/

The ground rules of the participation are the following:

1) Please contribute one idea per post. Keep it short! If you have multiple ideas please break them down into multiple posts.

2) Please read and comment on other people's ideas before you post new ideas. Much value will be gained from collaborative development of the ideas. It will also help to reduce repetitions. Both original contributors and commenters are equally valuable to this effort!

3) Please vote for the ideas that you wish to endorse. Regardless whether you posted ideas and comments, we would like to learn which ideas resonate with the IS community at large. Please make sure to go and vote!

4) You can contribute your ideas by registering with your own name or a pseudonym. We will be reporting the ideas at ICIS using user names provided to us. We leave it up to you whether you want to register anonymously or not. Registration also requires a valid email address, which will be kept confidential.

We're looking forward to read your contributions. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Live well and prosper,

Michel Avital and Natalia Levina

Professor Niels Bjørn-Andersen
Copenhagen Business School