[AISWorld] AIS Student Chapter Competition

Tom Meservy tmeservy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:30:25 EST 2011

Dear Jacques,

Thanks for the probing question. I acknowledge that Microsoft is currently
a relatively small player in the mobile apps space and that the track may
not appeal to some potential participants. Let me give you a little bit of
background information on the competition.

Our intention with the student competition is to provide students with an
opportunity to showcase their skills and abilities. We are also cognizant
of the diversity of skills/knowledge across the
discipline, programs/curriculum, and individual students. The competition
seeks to have multiple tracks to reflect these different skill
sets/knowledge areas while also promoting broad participation. In early
discussion of a student competition it was decided that a virtual
competition followed by an onsite competition for top performers from the
virtual competition would enable broader participation.

As I'm sure you know, this is the inaugural year of the competition. It is
our hope that the competition process will be relatively open and
transparent. At the beginning of September a 'Call For Track Proposals'
went out to AIS student chapter presidents and faculty advisors and also to
the AISWorld mailing list soliciting ideas for competition tracks.
Competition tracks were selected based on content areas and also on an
individual's/organization's willingness to chair the track, develop the
material, evaluate the entries, and handle other aspects of the
competition. In the case of this specific track, Microsoft was willing to
step up and help including providing access to software and even some
potential training.

We hope to further refine and improve the student competition each year
including additional content areas and would like to invite anyone
interested to submit potential tracks in the future.

Best,
Tom
Thomas Meservy
Assistant Professor of MIS and
FedEx Institute of Technology STEP Research Fellow
University of Memphis
Memphis, TN 38152