[AISWorld] hot topics summary

Sam Lubbe Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za
Wed Nov 9 02:09:47 EST 2011

Hallo all

A summary of items received in response to my email.

Thanx

Sam

Summary below:
From:                       "Howard, Grant" <Howargr at unisa.ac.za>
To:                            Sam Lubbe <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/11 08:32 AM
Subject:                    FW: AISWorld Digest, Vol 24, Issue 10

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a
disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full
details.

Dear Professor Lubbe,

Item 6 refers. I am not sure if this will help, but at the ECIME
conference (I will bring you the full proceedings when I see you on
Friday) there were several speakers indicating that the information age
is now transitioning to a knowledge economy.

Kind Regards
>From Grant Howard
Lecturer in the School of Computing at the UNISA Florida Campus
Tel) 011 471 2273
Fax) 012 429 8142

From:                       "Viehland, Dennis"
<D.Viehland at massey.ac.nz>
To:                            "Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za"
<Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/10 07:46 PM
Subject:                    RE: [AISWorld] hot topics

Hi Sam,

A quick response from me. Please send me a compilation of the results.

Dennis

Dennis Viehland
Associate Professor, Information Systems
Massey University, Auckland, New Zealand
Visiting Professor, Information Systems
Union Graduate College, Schenectady, New York
d.viehland at massey.ac.nz

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:06:47 +0200
From: "Sam Lubbe" <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
To: <AISWorld at lists.aisnet.org>
Subject: [AISWorld] hot topics

Hi all

I have to design a send year Information Management course for MBA
students. The University asked me to cover the current and expected hot
topics.

The following now 'bothers' me:

1. Is the name Information Management still relevant or should we use a
'new name' like digital management of information?

Course titles aren't as important as the content; I think IM is classic
and will continue to stand the test of time.

2. What can be regarded as the top ten topics to be covered so that the
course is still relevant for the next two years. They plan ten workshops
where relevant articles/topics can be discussed and researched by the
students.

Here is a top 8 list for me (not in any particular order)
Integration of business strategy and IS strategy
Information architecture and infrastructure
Enterprise systems (ERP, CRM, SCM, BI)
Emerging technology (also see assignment below)
Information systems development (they need to know what IS
professionals do)
IS project management
Financial IS (valuing IT investments, portfolio selection and
management)
Working smarter (distributed work, mobile work, telecommuting)

Also, I use a Frontier ICT assignment ‑‑ identify an on‑the‑frontier
technology, describe it in layman's terms and discuss implications for
business. This allows them to identify a "hot topic" of specific
interest to them and to explore what it means to their company, industry
or career. The present results of assignment to class so everyone
learns.

3. Can an ODL approach work in this instance? And should there be a
blog where students can make notes to that can be used in compiling
future material?

Yes, but not as effective as F2F discussion and interaction, in my
opinion. Blogs, discussion forums or wikis are good tool.

4. What textbook(s) can be used in this instance?

I find "Managing and Using Information Systems: A Strategic Approach"
by Pearlson and Saunders covers all the critical topics well (and others
I don't cover in depth such as outsourcing), but is small and flexible
enough to allow introduction of new material (Web 2.0, emerging
technology) into my MBA course.

Apologies for such a hectic query/ request for assistance.

Sam
From:                       "Edward Stohr" <estohr at stevens.edu>
To:                            "'Sam Lubbe'" <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/10 05:40 PM

Hi Sam

I think these are very interesting questions and that we will
increasingly
need to teach students in other disciplines about IT ‑ at least I hope
so.
Have you read Dhar and Sundarajan (2007)?

I cannot come up with 10 topics ‑ here are a few:

1. Bigdata ‑ Business intelligence and data analytics
2. Mobile computing
3. Cloud computing
4. Social networks and social network analysis.
5. Strategic Investment in IT

Best wishes with this ‑ I will be interested in the results.

Ted

=====================================
Edward A. Stohr
Co‑Director, Center for Technology Management Research
Wesley J. Howe School of Technology Management
Stevens Institute of Technology
Castle Point on Hudson
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Tel: 201‑216‑8915  Cell: 201‑993‑5592  Fax: 201‑216‑5385
e‑mail: estohr at stevens.edu

From:                       Frank Bannister <FBNNISTR at tcd.ie>
To:                            Sam Lubbe <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/10 12:00 PM

Hello Sam,

Hope you are thriving.  I never normally reply to these, but since I
know you her are some quick answers

1. Is the name Information Management still relevant or should we use a
'new name' like digital management of information?

If it describes the content stick with it.  Fight the tendency in ICT
to keep renaming the same product.  What does 'digital' add?

2. What can be regarded as the top ten topics to be covered so that the
course is still relevant for the next two years. They plan ten workshops
where relevant articles/topics can be discussed and researched by the
students.

There are perennials (ERP, outsourcing, IT value, project management,
BI, etc.) and trendies (cloud computing, open source, virtualization,
social networking, localization).  I run a final year UG course and I
tend to change the mix each year.  I would not go for a 'top ten'.
Cover the core topics and choose from the trendies.

3. Can an ODL approach work in this instance? And should there be a
blog where students can make notes to that can be used in compiling
future material?

Not a believer in this kind of stuff unless your students are stuck in
the bush.  Nothing beats the class room/group discussion experience at
this level.

4. What textbook(s) can be used in this instance?

Textbooks are irrelevant at 4th level undergraduate, never mind MBA
level.  Most general purpose textbooks on this subject are Mickey Mouse.
 Targeted readings from good journals and white papers are best though
subject specific books can be useful for established topics (but not for
trendies where they are often wrongheaded).

Kind regards,

Frank
From:                       Devos Jan <Jan.Devos at howest.be>
To:                            Sam Lubbe <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/11 08:55 AM

Sam,

1.       The name Information Management is still relevant. Digital
Management of Information is not. It is about management of (digital)
information, not about digital management.

2.       Is it only about information or also about IT (information
technology) and IS (information systems) ?

3.       What is ODL?

4.       I use Laudon & Laudon, MIS, Managing the Digital Firm.
Best regards
jan
Jan Devos, drs. ir.
Electronics and IT Lab
University College West‑Flanders
Ghent University Association
Graaf Karel De Goedelaan 5
BE‑8500 KORTRIJK ‑ BELGIUM
T: +32 56 24 12 72
F: +32 56 24 12 24
e‑mail: jan.devos at howest.be<mailto:jan.devos at howest.be>
e‑mail:  jgdvos.devos at ugent.be<mailto:jgdvos.devos at ugent.be>
linkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/jangdevos<http://www.linkedin.com/in/jangdevos>
website: http://elit.howest.be
twitter: @jangdevos

From:                       "Jerry Flatto" <jflatto at uindy.edu>
To:                            "'Sam Lubbe'" <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
CC:                           "Emet Talley" <talley.emet at gmail.com>
Date:                        2011/10/10 01:40 PM

Sam,

I would be very interested in getting a copy of your responses.

I would start by do a search for the Forrester Research and Gartner
industry
surveys.  They provide top ten lists.

I have copied one of my adjuncts on this list who may be able to
provide
some additional research.

Jerry
From:                       "Garfield, Monica" <MGarfield at bentley.edu>
To:                            "'Sam Lubbe'" <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/10 04:24 PM

Hi Sam,

I think what you should do is look at the first year syllabus so you
know what the baseline of knowledge is for the students taking your hot
topics class.  Then I would select 7‑8 topics they cover and extend them
to cover the newest thing that directly impacts business (i.e. 4G
networks for mobile computing; interesting data mining techniques, the
latest in ERP, etc).  Then I would pick 2‑3 hot topics that you find
interesting and relevant (personally I would be doing some healthcare
stuff and some creativity stuff but have fun with those classes).  This
gives you a structure moving forward so you do not reinvent the wheel
yearly.  You can then select seminal background articles for them to
read (this could stay relatively stable of the years) and 2 new articles
per topic per year.  This keeps it fresh but gives them something that
has a longer shelf life than just hitting a flash in the pan hot topic.
I would not use a text book for a number of reasons (mostly they are
outdated before they hit the shelf and the force a structure on you that
may not fit your personal needs).

As for naming the course again pick something with legs ‑ digital seems
to bring me back to ecommerce and dot com days.
Something like "Technologies that impact the world today" or "Today,
Tomorrow and Technology"
Good luck, Monica Garfield ‑ CIS department, Bentley University,
Waltham, MA USA
From:                       Anil Vaidya <anvvaidya at gmail.com>
To:                            Sam Lubbe <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/10 11:36 AM

Hi Sam,

I am currently working on a course named "IT in Business", probably
similar
to "Information Management" you are on.

I think Info Mgmt will stay relevant for a long time, though the tools
both
HW and SW will keep changing. I plan to use Wiki to collect student
thoughts. It helps me to make certain no of students to work on a
given
topic while others can still access it.

I suggest Loudon and Loudon's book on MIS: Managing the Digital Firm

I hope this helps,

With regards,
anil

Dr. Anil Vaidya
Information Management
S P Jain Institution of Management & Research
Mumbai, India
From:                       Emet Talley <talley.emet at gmail.com>
To:                            <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
CC:                           Jerry Flatto <jflatto at uindy.edu>
Date:                        2011/10/10 10:00 PM
Attachments:            Top technology trends.pptx

Sam,

I recently retired as a CIO for a medium sized Financial company.  We
had
over 300 IT staff.

In August of this year, I did a presentation for the University of
Indianapolis regarding technology trends and have included the
Forrester and
Gartner technology trend slides.

In your questions you ask if the term/program Information Management
is
still relevant.  I do think that term will be relevant for many years
come.  Digital management of information just does not have a ring to
it and
probably has a more narrow definition than Information Management.

Hopefully this information is helpful.

Emet Talley

From:                       Peter Trkman <peter.trkman at ef.uni-lj.si>
To:                            <sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/11 11:55 AM
Subject:                    re: hot topics
Attachments:            Trkman-Turk-Theories and current issues in
information systems research.pdf; students_seminars_topics.docx

Dear Sam,
I attach the program of the course that will be taught at our school
this
year. This is not exactly what you are looking for but you may get
some
ideas from the second part of the course. The course is a 12 hours
crash‑course for Ph. D. students with the idea of giving some insights
into
the main theories followed by some "hot topics". I also attach the
suggested
topics for student's seminars.

No textbook is used, just various papers.

If you could send me the summary of other responses I would be most
grateful.

Peter

Doctoral seminar - Theories and current issues in information systems
research
Students’ assignment
You should either select one topic from the following list or propose
your own topic (if you propose your own topic it should not be too
narrowly focused; further it should be one of the important topics in
either information systems or supply chain management research).
 Prepare:
-          main part (content-wise): analyze and (if possible) classify
the main research findings/explored topics in the last years; identify
open research opportunities/research questions (approximate length
5000-8000 words).
-          appendix (theory-wise): identify at least 3 papers on your
topic that explicitly use one of the theories. Show how it is used/what
the authors contributed to the theory (approximate length: max. 1000
words).
List of topics

topic
mentor
brief description

Acquiring and Developing Business Applications and Infrastructure
Gradišar
What are the trends in Web based development methods for acquiring IT
applications? What is happening with the traditional methodologies?

business models
Trkman

what is a business model? what is a business model innovation?
relevance of business model for brick-and-mortar companies. Role of IS –
impact on TCE. Distinction between BM and strategy.

Decision Support/Knowledge Based Systems
Gradišar
How Web technologies affect the latest development in decision
support/knowledge based systems?

Demand forecasting, Commodity price/quantity curve modelling
Groznik
SCM relies to future price/quantity. Application of different models
(i.e Autoregressive models, Volatility models, …)

Green IT
Groznik
Can IT act as an inhibitor of business becoming green. Case study
approach in various industries (i.e.utilities).

ICT role in multi utility management
Groznik
Business models of utility companies is changing dramatically due to
ICT adoption. Is multi utility the answer to future business model of
utilities?

role of social in IS research & development
Trkman
how to use social tools for knowledge management (wikis, blogs); how to
stimulate adoption; how to use social tools for involving customers,
using e.g. Twitter etc.

Mentor contacts:
miro.gradisar at ef.uni-lj.si; ales.groznik at ef.uni-lj.si;
peter.trkman at ef.uni-lj.si (you can also choose your own mentor among the
members of Information Systems Department)
Schedule:
students seminars will be presented in March 2012. Exact date(s) to be
agreed. Exact length of presentation depends on the number of students.
Note: the best paper will be fast-tracked for potential publication in
Economics & Business Review
From:                       "Stelzer Dirk Univ.-Prof. Dr. TU Ilmenau"
<dirk.stelzer at tu-ilmenau.de>
To:                            Sam Lubbe <Sam.Lubbe at nwu.ac.za>
Date:                        2011/10/10 04:40 PM
Subject:                    AW: [AISWorld] hot topics

Dear Sam,

1)      The name Information Management is still relevant (at least in
Germany). Information Management denotes managing the supply of
information in organizations.

2)      Hot Topics in Information Management were published by Jerry
Luftman, Tal Ben‑Zvi: Key Issues for IT Executives 2010: Judicious IT
Investments Continue Post‑Recession. In: MIS Quarterly Executive. No. 4,
2010, pp. 263‑273. (From the fact, that these topics have been relevant
for at least some years, on may deduce that they will probably be
relevant for the next two years.) Another source featuring similar
business priorities is Gartner Inc.: Reimagining IT: The 2011 CIO
Agenda. Stamford, 2011; http://www.gartner.com

3)      and 4) sorry, no idea.

Best regards,
Dirk Stelzer