[AISWorld] A graduate IS course based on classic business papers

Ken Peffers k at peffers.com
Fri Nov 11 10:53:14 EST 2011

Colleagues

I am developing a graduate IS class based on the coupling of classic papers in business and economics literature (maybe broader?) with contemporary IS research literature and, perhaps, practical cases. My motivation is that I find that masters level students seem to be ignorant about the thoughts of the major thinkers of the last century or so, e.g., J. Schumpter, M. Jensen, H. Simon, E. Fama, and others who have shaped the literature.

These three papers are an example of what I had in mind:

Williamson, Oliver E., Markets and Hierarchies: Analysis and Antitrust Implications: A Study in the Economics of Internal Organization (1975). University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership Historical Research Reference in Entrepreneurship.

Thouin, Mark F., James J. Hoffman , Eric W. Ford, “IT outsourcing and firm-level performance: A transaction cost perspective,” Information & Management 46 (2009) 463–469.

Susarla, Anjana, Barua, Anitesh, Whinston, Andrew B., “A Transaction Cost Perspective of the "Software as a Service" Business Model”, Journal of Management Information Systems; Fall2009, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p205-240, 36p.

Has anyone already developed a course like this?

Do you have an idea for such couplings?

Thanks

Ken Peffers, Professor of MIS
Director, MS in Management Information Systems
Lee School of Business, UNLV, 4505 Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas NV 89154-6034.

Tel 702 807 1181 Skype kgpeffers