[AISWorld] non-traditional Bachelor's degrees

Ronald Vyhmeister rvyhmeister at aiias.edu
Tue Nov 22 15:17:55 EST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

As we know, in the IT industry there are many individuals who for a variety
of reasons have not completed their undergraduate degrees. Many of these
people have completed 2-3 years (sometimes almost 4) of their undergraduate
degree, but for a variety of reasons they did not complete their first
degree. After working for a few years, they realize that they need to finish
something, but by then they're often physically far away from their original
institution on top of being working full-time. What options do they have to
finish? Are there any good non-traditional options to receive an accredited
degree (which would allow them to move on to a master's degree)? The ideal
degree would allow significant recognition of knowledge and experience, and
could be completed on a flexible schedule.

The only degree that I'm aware of that meets this is from Western Governor's
University (wgu.edu), but the program is VERY tied to Microsoft/Cisco
certification. These certs are not inherently bad, but individuals working
in the Linux/Unix/Apple world find it frustrating.

Any other options out there? I suspect that our master's programs could gain
enrollment if we had ways of helping individuals complete their bachelor's
degrees.

Thanks,

Ronald Vyhmeister