[AISWorld] Inexpensive text projects (formerly: Intro to ISys Book)

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Mon Dec 12 01:29:48 EST 2011

Conan, and all others who are interested in such things, it might be good to link up with other projects that endeavor to save students money to avoid reinventing the wheel. Some of the following individuals might be too modest to point out their alternative models. Also, the subject header might not fully describe the contents and December 6 was a bad time to send out such an announcement, as many were traveling to ICIS.

Anyway, here are three other projects to reduce book costs:

Rick Watson and Don McCubbrey are spearheading the Global Text Project (http://globaltext.terry.uga.edu/home). These are intended to be free, targeted to developing countries. I'm not sure if they are intended for use by those in wealthy countries, who can (more or less) afford textbooks.

Alan Dennis is working with an organization called "Courseload" (http://www.courseload.com/) that provides "up to a 70% reduction" in book prices. In this model, the entire class must purchase an e-book but the cost is reduced below that of Coursesmart (below).

Many of us know Coursesmart (www.coursesmart.com), which allows students to buy digital copies of texts at "up to 60% off" hard copy pricing.

I am not providing any assessments of quality of any of these endeavors, but merely pointing out their existence. Maybe others know of more of these.

DG

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                 and Director, Katz Doctoral Program
282a Mervis Hall                            Katz Graduate School of Business
Phone +1 412-648-1699                                  Pittsburgh, PA  15260
E-mail: galletta @                                       Fax +1 412-648-1693
        katz.pitt.edu                       homepage: www.pitt.edu/~galletta