[AISWorld] A suggested resolution for multiple submissions

Chitu Okoli Chitu.Okoli at concordia.ca
Wed Dec 14 15:53:17 EST 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have followed this discussion with interest, especially because I have some particular perspectives on "self-plagiarism". However, I will address that aspect directly in a separate post. Here I want to suggest a resolution for the problem of multiple submissions.

I want to first commend Robert Davison and the team on the AIS Research Ethics Committee for their efforts and accomplishments in the challenging task of dealing with academic plagiarism. Dealing with cheating with students is hard enough; when academics do it, the complexities and gravity is greatly multiplied. I am a recent "victim" of academic plagiarism (though I find "victim" an awkward word to describe it, as my first reaction was feeling honoured that my work was considered worthy to be plagiarized), and I realize that these issues are serious and extremely delicate. I thank and commend them for their labour on behalf of the IS community.

It seems clear from the discussion that multiple submission is very sticky to define, and indeed, is inconsistently defined, depending on the publication target, the editor's opinions, and the reviewers' opinions. This greatly complicates authors' responsibilities, as what might be acceptable to one target might be considered unethical by another very similar target. It also becomes quite delicate for those who after the fact have to make a decision on whether unethical multiple submission was attempted or not. Actually, I don't like the idea of a one-size-fit-all policy coming down from AIS that would try to authoritatively define what is "multiple submission"; I believe different conference, journals, books, etc. can legitimately make different definitions depending on their unique goals. I don't think an authoritative definition would really solve the problem.

I suggest a simple way to get around these murky issues: rather than leaving it to authors to make sure they avoid multiple submission, the editors should take responsibility by explicitly clarifying what they consider "multiple submission." Whenever a conference, journal, workshop or any other publication outlet solicits submissions, they should do two things concerning multiple submission:
1) Explicitly state what they consider acceptable and what they consider unacceptable for their publications. This is very similar to Stephen Alter's point #3, which I will not explicate further here.
2) Require authors to explicitly list the full citation of all publications that share more than 20% of the same content, and explicitly explain what novel contribution the present submission offers beyond previously published content. (The 20% threshold is arbitrary and might be somewhat low, but I believe it should cover anything that might be of reasonable concern.)

With this simple solution, the editors can decide what constitutes multiple submission before they send the submission on for review. Thus, it is no longer the responsibility of authors to determine grey areas, but rather the editors'. This solution offers clarity for three kinds of people or situations:

1) For sincere authors who are generally aware of the problem of multiple submission and who are committed to not violate any ethical principles, this solution lets them be upfront about their submission, and leave the decision of acceptability wholly in the hands of the editors.

2) For authors who sincerely do not really understand the problems of multiple submission and who would otherwise not consciously act unethically, this solution serves as a valuable educational experience with no risk of embarrassment.

3) For unethical authors who are trying to hide multiple submission, this solution leaves them in a quandary. They could go ahead and make an unethical multiple submission and hide the fact. However, if discovered, they would be unable to claim ignorance or misinterpretation as an excuse for their deceit. Alternatively, this solution would dissuade them from submitting to outlets that make such requirements.

In fact, I personally always practice this principle: In my submission cover letters, I always cite prior related publications and explain their relationship and difference with my present submission. This has helped me in at least one case where I submitted an article for consideration at a leading scholarly journal based on a student thesis where the student had already published the thesis as a book. After a few months, I received a response from the editor-in-chief that an anonymous reviewer had identified the book as a prior publication. I referred the EiC to my cover letter where I had explicitly mentioned this fact. Eventually the EiC decided that prior publication in a book was inappropriate for his journal that sought original research; however, he made it clear that we were welcome to submit other articles in the future. We eventually published the article in another journal with similar quality standards (again explicitly citing the book in the cover letter), and
no issue was ever raised. (A side note on copyright: the book publisher explicitly permitted republication of the content in scholarly journals, so the issue was only one of originality, not of copyright conflicts.) My point with this anecdote is that what constitutes "multiple submission" is not black-and-white; two editors of similar journals can hold different standards. As long as authors are upfront so that no deceit is suspected, then any misunderstanding can be clarified relatively easily.

In brief, I recommend that editors explicitly define what they consider "multiple submission" for their specific outlet, and that they ask authors to list all prior provenance of their submissions; I recommend that authors always provide prior provenance of their submissions whether the editors request it or not. This might not solve the problem once and for all, but it is very easy to implement (at least before an alternative better long-term solution might be implemented), and I think it would greatly alleviate the problem immediately. That is, it could rapidly deter unethical multiple submissions, and make it easier to prove the unethical nature when violators are caught.

Regards,

Chitu Okoli
Associate Professor in Management Information Systems
John Molson School of Business
Concordia University, Montréal

http://chitu.okoli.org/pro

Message: 4