[AISWorld] Contents of JAIS, Volume 13, Issue 1 (January)

Gregor, Shirley Shirley.Gregor at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 1 16:12:57 EST 2012

Contents of Volume 13, Issue 1 (January)
Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS)
Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems

Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/

Editor-in-Chief: Professor Shirley Gregor, the Australian National University, Australia

PAPER ONE

Evaluating and Developing Theories in the Information Systems Discipline
By Ron Weber

Abstract
This paper articulates a framework and criteria that can be used to evaluate the quality of theories. While the framework and criteria have general applicability, my focus is the evaluation of theories within the information systems discipline. To illustrate the usefulness of the framework and criteria, I show how they can be employed to pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses of a theory which, based upon citation evidence, has had a significant impact on other researchers within the information systems discipline. Because the evaluation of existing theories often provides the basis for refining existing theories or building new theories, I also show how the framework and criteria can be used to inform the development of high-quality theory.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol13/iss1/2

PAPER TWO
Crisis Response Information Networks
By Shan L. Pan, Gary Pan, and Dorothy E. Leidner

Abstract
In the past two decades, organizational scholars have focused significant attention on how organizations manage crises. While most of these studies concentrate on crisis prevention, there is a growing emphasis on crisis response. Because information that is critical to crisis response may become outdated as crisis conditions change, crisis response research recognizes that the management of information flows and networks is critical to crisis response. Yet despite its importance, little is known about the various types of crisis information networks and the role of IT in enabling these information networks. Employing concepts from information flow and social network theories, this paper contributes to crisis management research by developing four crisis response information network prototypes. These networks are based on two main dimensions: (1) information flow intensity and (2) network density. We describe how considerations of these two dimensions with supporting case evidence yield four prototypical crisis information response networks: Information Star, Information Pyramid, Information Forest, and Information Black-out. In addition, we examine the role of IT within each information network structure. We conclude with guidelines for managers to deploy appropriate information networks during crisis response and with suggestions for future research related to IT and crisis management.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol13/iss1/1