[AISWorld] CFP Special Issue of EJIS on Cross-Cultural Research (revised)

Merrill Warkentin m.warkentin at msstate.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:26:26 EDT 2012

Call for Papers
European Journal of Information Systems (EJIS)
(www.palgrave-journals.com/ejis/)

Special Issue on Cross-Cultural IS Research:
Perspectives from Eastern and Western Traditions

Globalization not only affects all dimensions of organizational management,
it can also impact IS research and research methods. China and other Eastern
cultures are contributing the Oriental traditions to the Occidental lenses
of analysis, while also providing interesting contrasts to the historical
experiences in the Western world. With this backdrop, the significance of
cultural issues is becoming increasingly evident in many academic
disciplines. What role does culture play in the design of, adoption of, and
use of information systems? How do these experiences differ between Eastern
and Western cultural environments? Beyond that, to what extent and how
should we integrate unique Eastern and Western management theories?

Cross-cultural IS research has piqued increasing interest among IS scholars.
A variety of theoretical frameworks derived from various reference
disciplines have guided cross-cultural IS researchers to investigate
intra-cultural congruence and variation. However, recent key studies
indicate that much of the extant work could fall into an “ecological
fallacy” because researchers have substituted national stereotypes for
individualistic and idiosyncratic traits, and have ignored the fact that
culture, which isn’t solely a national differentiator, may co-vary with
other national characteristics and could continuously evolve. Studying IS in
the Chinese culture should help us surface the unstated assumptions in
Western-culture theories. We need research that extends and expands the
contributions to our understanding of the role of culture in IS.

The focus of this special issue will be on innovative yet critical thinking
on cross-cultural IS research, especially as it relates to contrasting or
converging Eastern and Western experiences and viewpoints. In essence, we
are keen on receiving novel and extendable studies on cross-cultural IS
artefacts instead of merely replicating existing models in various contexts.
We also invite scholarly conceptual analyses of the role of scientific
discovery across the globe, and how various research traditions may be
enhanced by inclusion of new lenses and perspectives that are prominent in
other cultures. We seek fresh research approaches that go beyond the
traditional Hofstede paradigm which pursue new theoretical and
methodological avenues for investigating IT-related phenomena in Asia and
the Western World. We wish to be inclusive and not limit our investigation
to any technologies, research methods, or paradigms, but would welcome any
meaningful, rigorous scholarship that extends our understanding of current
research findings in both the Occidental and Oriental worlds. Research can
be conducted at the individual, group, organization, industry
(inter-organizational), or society/nation level.

Theoretical perspectives may include behavioural, organisational, cognitive,
cultural, socio-technical, or other lenses for analysis of important issues
in this domain. We particularly encourage contributions to knowledge based
on rigorous research methodologies, such as field or case studies,
controlled experiments, or various other qualitative, quantitative,
normative, critical, or rational analyses. This special issue will serve as
a venue to inform and be informed, to share knowledge, and to foster
continued research interactions between the two research traditions.

Topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:

-Novel methods and tools for cross-cultural investigation (e.g. new
validated scales)

-Insightful analyses of Eastern versus Western IS research traditions

-Information system usage behaviours under different cultural influences
(e.g. adoption behaviours, security behaviours, social patterns within
groups using IT, etc.)

-IS behaviours when Eastern users collaborate with Western users

-Managerial strategies and their impacts on IS usage patterns

-Innovative research into contrasts between emerging IT usage, such as
comparisons between usage patterns of mobile social networking or cloud
computing

-The role of national social and economic policies in promoting and altering
IT usage by organizations and individuals

Special Issue Guest Editors:

Merrill Warkentin, Mississippi State Univ., USA
     M.Warkentin at msstate.edu
Patrick Y.K. Chau, The Univ. of Hong Kong, China
     Pchau at business.hku.hk
Brigitte Charles-Pauvers, Univ. of Nantes, France
     Brigitte.Charles-Pauvers at univ-nantes.fr

Submission Guidelines:

- Authors are encouraged to contact the Guest Editors early for initial
feedback on proposals.
- Papers may be submitted to the special issue any time before 1 June, 2012.
- Follow the EJIS formatting guidelines:
http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ejis/author_instructions.html
- Note that manuscripts should be no longer than 8000 words.
- Submit using the EJIS online paper submission system and select Special
Issue “CCR” at http://ejis.msubmit.net/cgi-bin/main.plex
- The guest editors will screen all submissions before sending papers out
for review.

Key Dates:

Submissions for the Special issue close on June, 2012
First round decisions: September 2012
Second round revisions due: January 2013
Second round decisions: April 2013
Final round revisions due: September 2013

Special Issue Editorial Board (Associate Editors):

Ariane Berthoin Antal, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für
  Sozialforschung (WZB), Germany and
  Audencia Nantes School of Management, France
Himadri Das, IMI, India
Robert M. Davison, City University of Hong Kong, China
Qing Hu, Iowa State University, USA
Yaobin Lu, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, China
Shin-Yuan Hung, National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan
John Kidd, Aston University, UK
Vincent Siu-king Lai, Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
Paul Benjamin Lowry, City University of Hong Kong, China
Xin Luo, University of New Mexico, USA
Je-Yi Mao, Renmin University, China
Thomas Li-Ping Tang, Middle Tennessee State University, USA

Thank you,
  Merrill Warkentin, Mississippi State University
  www.MISProfessor.us