[AISWorld] Request for Contributors -- MIS Encyclopedia

Gerd Wagner wagnerg at tu-cottbus.de
Mon May 14 03:10:03 EDT 2012

> For the past four decades, Wiley/Blackwell has published their Encyclopedia of Management (EOM)'s volume on MIS. The last version published was in 2006. They are now planning to bring out the next version (2012) with Detmar Straub and I acting as the new editors (not quite replacing the stellar work of Gordon Davis as the editor of all the previous versions). ...
>
> We are now seeking knowledgeable authors for the topics listed below. The conditions are that you're willing to write an approximately 1500-3000 word pr?cis on one of these topics that would provide the novice reader of it with a reasonable appreciation of what the topic embraces, its scientific foundations, and (perhaps) a glimpse of the future. ...
>
> Obviously, the velocity of change in our area, and the widespread availability of the Internet and its accessible knowledge repositories such as Wikipedia might seem to diminish the value of such contributions.

Not only the velocity of change in our area diminishes the value of such
contributions, but also the fact of allowing a commercial publisher to
lock in our knowledge in an overpriced print book that is not freely
accessible.

Instead of putting our energies in such an questionable enterprise, we
should better make an effort of establishing a scholarly open access
online encyclopedia, as colleagues in other fields have already done
quite successfully, see, e.g., [1].

Gerd Wagner
Professor, Internet Technology
http://oxygen.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/IT