[AISWorld] Request for help: "How to recruit good PhD students?"

Ilia Bider ilia at ibissoft.se
Wed May 23 05:07:57 EDT 2012

Hi everybody,

I am doing a short investigation on recruiting 'good' PhD students.
I would appreciate very much if you could share your experience in this
matter. More exactly, I am interested to know how the recruiting is done
by your/your university, and which methods of recruiting produce the
best results (in terms of quality of students)

Below I set a list of possible recruiting methods/situations

(a) Standard - announcement - application - selection
(b) Identifying and recruiting students from graduate/master programs of
the same university
(c) Identifying and recruiting students from undergraduate/bachelor
programs of the same university (early identification)
(d) Identifying and recruiting employees from industrial organizations
participating in a collaborative research project
(e) Meting and recruiting young researchers at scientific events (e.g.
conferences, workshops)
(f) Following an advice from your colleague who becomes acquainted with
a potential candidate in situations (b)-(e) above

Could you, please, mark those that occur in your practice, and mention
what kind of results they produce.
If I missed something in the list, please add to it and give an opinion.

Thank you for cooperation.
As it is a custom here, I will send the summary of responses back to the
list.

-- Best regards/Ilia
Dr. Ilia Bider
Process- och systemutvecklingskonsult at ibissoft.se