[AISWorld] Media Architecture Biennale 2012 - Second call for papers

Peter Dalsgaard dalsgaard at cavi.dk
Fri Jul 6 04:29:01 EDT 2012

[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS
MEDIA ARCHITECTURE BIENNALE 2012
November 15-17, 2012
Aarhus, Denmark
!! SUBMISSION DEADLINE: July 20 !!

Building on the successful event in Vienna 2010, Media Architecture
Biennale 2012 brings together artists, practitioners and researchers from
academia and industry in the ongoing exploration of the meeting between
architecture and digital media. The 2012 Biennale comprises an academic
conference track, exhibitions, and industry sessions, as well as a full day
of workshops. Our vision is to provide an excellent forum for debate and
knowledge exchange; to offer a unique opportunity that brings together the
best minds and organizations; and to highlight state-of-the-art and
experimental research in media architecture.

THEME: PARTICIPATION
The design of media architecture invites encounters between people, the
built environment, and digital media. It opens up rich opportunities for
new forms of participation through dialogue and engagement. As an emerging
field, diverse perspectives are coming together in media architecture, and
the challenges are as abundant as the opportunities. At the conference, we
explore “participation” as a core value of media architecture. In this
context, participation may occur in the initial design stages of media
architecture, e.g. as different practitioners, stakeholders and potential
audiences take part in shaping future media architecture; it may occur when
media architecture is realized and people experience and interact with it,
e.g. when public spaces and urban environments and the practices they shape
are influenced by elements of media architecture; it may also occur as new
platforms give rise to new opportunities for shaping systems and
surroundings.

TOPICS
We consider media architecture as an inclusive term that encompasses
encounters and intersections between digital technologies and our physical
surroundings. In this respect, we invite papers that present and discuss
novel contributions to media architecture both on a practical and
theoretical level and that further our understanding of the field through
case studies, design approaches, and best practices. We expect
contributions to critically explore a wide range of topics including, but
not limited to:
- Case Studies of Specific Projects
- Future Trends and Prototypes
- Media Facades and Urban Displays
- Interaction Techniques and Interfaces
- Social and Cultural Aspects of Media Architecture
- Historical Perspectives on the Intersection between Media and the Built
Environment
- Design Processes and Methods
- Participatory City Planning and Developing Urban Media Environments
- Participatory Architecture
- Spatial Locative Media
- Development and Design of Content for Specific Contexts

SUBMISSION DETAILS AND DEADLINE
The conference invites research presentations from both academia and
industry. We are currently seeking a publishing agreement with a major
publisher for the academic proceedings. We invite both short and long
papers. Submitted papers should be a maximum of four and ten pages in
length, for short and long papers respectively, in ACM format (
http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates). The papers
should clearly explain the research question addressed, research methods
and tasks, findings or results, and contributions of the work. Papers
should also provide sufficient background and related work to situate and
contextualize the authors’ work within the greater body of research.
Submissions should consist of original work not previously published or
concurrently under consideration for any other conference, workshop,
journal, or other publication with an ISBN, ISSN or DOI number.  Authors
must provide a 30-word contribution statement for their paper upon
submission. The contribution statement should explain the contribution made
by the paper to the Media Architecture community.
Papers will be peer-reviewed by multiple members of a program committee
consisting of experts in a range of disciplines that shape media
architecture.
The Submission system is available here:
https://precisionconference.com/~mab

HOST
Aarhus University, Denmark, in collaboration with Media Architecture
Institute.

IMPORTANT DATES FOR PAPERS
Papers submission deadline: July 20, 2012 at
https://precisionconference.com/~mab
Notification of acceptance: Sept 5
Camera-ready submission: Sept 25
Conference: Nov 15-17  2012

CONTACT INFORMATION
Twitter: @MABiennale
Facebook: Facebook.com/MABiennale
Web: www.mediaarchitecture.org/biennale12
Email: conference at mediaarchitecture.org

COME AND JOIN US!
Peter Dalsgaard, Aarhus University & Ava Fatah gen Schieck, The Bartlett,
UCL
Program co-chairs