[AISWorld] Seeking Non-US Collaborators for Global Team Project 2012

Rosalie Ocker rocker4855 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:19:12 EDT 2012

*Seeking Non-US Collaborators for Global Team Project 2012*

We invite you to have your class(es) participate in a multicultural virtual
team learning activity conducted over five weeks from Oct. 8, 2012 to Nov.
11, 2012.  The project task focuses on establishing information
requirements for an emergency management information system. It is designed
to provide learning opportunities for a variety of students including those
focusing on IT, computer science, business, engineering and the social
sciences.  We invite you and your students to participate.  We have ten
successful projects to date involving over 2500 students from 10 countries
and 20 universities.

The project takes five weeks to complete.  Students work in small
collocated subteams with ~ 3 members from their class; each subteam is
paired with two other subteams of about 3 students from classes in other
universities to form an overall virtual team of about 9 students.  The
project is well-structured, and includes three learning modules on
effective teaming in partially distributed teams, each with weekly content
and group process activities and deliverables (see *
https://collab.ist.psu.edu/pdtinfo*).  The final project deliverable is a
written report describing the functional requirements for the system,
accompanied by a design of the user interface and dashboard.

Instructor support materials are included (e.g., weekly teaching notes, ppt
slides) and an online synchronous training session for instructors is held
prior to the start of the project.  Using a pre-defined grading rubric, all
assignments will be graded by assistants at Penn State.  Of course, you are
welcome to grade deliverables, assign grades, and customize presentation of
the materials to your students.  To encourage evenness of participation
across courses, we ask all instructors to weight the project at least 15%
of the course grade.

A system is provided to support team collaboration, using Moodle as the
platform (*http://moodle.org/*).  The collaboration system includes a
discussion board, file share/repository, chat, and a team calendar, as well
as all instructions and all project materials. It supports
both within-subteam and across-subteam work.  Instructors can log on and
view all project materials, as well as monitor their students’
progress.  All administrator functions are handled by Penn State.

Please contact Rosalie Ocker at *rocker at ist.psu.edu* for further
information.

We look forward to you and your students joining this project.

Sincerely,

Rosalie Ocker