[AISWorld] Last Call - Student competition & Faculty Posters for Innovations in Patient Empowerment

Samir Chatterjee Samir.Chatterjee at cgu.edu
Mon Sep 17 16:35:35 EDT 2012

Claremont Graduate University (CGU) and Innovations in Learning Inc., invite students and recent graduates to participate in this exciting opportunity to compete and showcase their work in healthcare informatics.
If you are a student or know someone interested in healthcare technology, do not miss this great opportunity to submit your innovative ideas.
Faculty members working in healthcare informatics innovation are also invited to submit their work which would be showcased at the poster session.
Please check website for additional details.

http://patientempowerment.org/

First Prize Winner: $1000 cash, airfare to symposium and up to $20,000 scholarship for Claremont Graduate University

Second Prize Winner: $500 cash, airfare to symposium and up to $10,000 scholarship for Claremont Graduate University

Applicants to the Patient Empowerment Challenge Contest must specify the Challenge Area that their research will address and must articulate how their proposed application and analysis would extend our understanding of patient wellbeing and healthy lifestyles.

Challenge Topics:

1.       *Mobile solutions for chronic disease management

2.       *Using GIS to visualize data for healthy living

3.       *Patient empowerment, healthy lifestyle models

4.       *Aging with technology

5.       *Addressing digital divide with underserved when it comes to patient services

6.       *Use of virtual world and gaming platforms to change the status quo of healthcare

7.       *Fundamental contributions (theory and practice) to the field of biomedical informatics

8.       *BIG Data in healthcare

Deadline for Submissions: October 1 2012 at 11:59 PM PST.

Send your 5 page essay (8.5 x 11 in with 1 inch margin, 10 pt font) to Dr. Chatterjee at profsamir1 at gmail.com<mailto:profsamir1 at gmail.com>.

Winning candidates will be eligible for up to $20,000 and $10,000 scholarships (over 2 years) for masters or PhD program at CGU, subject to meeting our admissions criteria and a review by a panel of judges who will evaluate each proposal by the following criteria:

1.       *Significance of research proposed

2.       *Broader societal impacts

3.       *Innovative ideas
Speakers & Program
Sunday Nov 11, 2012
1:00 PM                                Registrations Opens
2:45 - 3:00 PM                   Welcome, Opening remarks
                                                Samir Chatterjee, Chair
Parvati Dev, Co-Chair

3:00 - 4:00 PM                   Dr. Robert B. McCray (Opening Keynote)
President and CEO, Wireless Life Sciences    Alliance
The Wireless Health Landscape: How Wireless & Mobile Advancements Will Impact Healthcare

4:15 - 4:45 PM                   Dr. Wayne Dysynger
Chair, Department of Preventive Medicine Loma Linda University
Lifestyle Medicine and Patient Empowerment - Treating Root Causes

4:45 - 5:15 PM                   Dr. Brian Alman
Founder& CEO, TruSage Inc.
Personalized Empowerment for Diabetes with Wireless Technologies

5:15 - 5:45 PM                   Ms. Laurie Sobel
Senior Attorney. West Coast Office of Consumers Union
Consumer Advocacy in Health Care Policy

5:30 - 7:00 pm                    Evening Reception, networking, posters, product display

7:00 - 9:00 PM                   Steering Committee Dinner (Closed)

Monday Nov 12, 2012
7:30 AM                               Registration Open
7:30 - 8:30 AM                  Coffee, breakfast

8:30 - 8:50 AM                  Dr. Kamal Jethwani
Chief Scientist, Center for Connected Health, Partners group/Harvard University
>From prescriptive care to collaborative care: The role of the empowered patient in tomorrow's healthcare

8:50 - 9:10 AM                  Dr. David Ruau
Postdoctoral fellow, Division of Systems Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine
Pain Differences Between Men and Women Using Patient Data.

9:10 - 9:30 AM                  Mr. Don Schoen
CEO/Founder, BettrLife Corporation

Mobile 2.0 what it will mean for health and wellness

9:30 - 10:30 AM                Dr. Vincent J. Felitti (Keynote Lecture)
Founding Physician, Kaiser Permanente, San Diego &
Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of California
The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Life Experiences to Adult Health, Well-being, and Premature Death

10:30 - 11:00 AM              Coffee Break

11:00 - 11:20 AM              Dr. Monica Tremblay
Asst. Professor, Florida International University
Bridging Health Disparities in the Foster Care Population Through the Use of a Medical Passport: Lessons Learned

11:20 - 11:40 AM              Mr. David L. Inns
President & CEO, GreatCall, Inc
Empowering older consumers to manage their own wellbeing

11:40 - 12:00 PM              Dr. Samir Chatterjee
Professor & Fletcher Jones Chair, Claremont Graduate University
Aging and Diabetes in a smart world of sensors and mobile phones

12:00 - 1:00 PM                Lunch Served
1:00 - 1:40 PM                   Panel: Mr. Grant Perry (moderator)
Founder & CEO, mPatient Solutions LLC
mHealth, the Media and Improving Health Literacy

1:40 - 2:00 PM                   Dr. Parvati Dev,
President, CliniSpace
How Virtual Environments Empower Patients

2:00 - 2:30 PM                   Dr. Kimberly Barnholt
Research Project Manager, 23andMe, Inc.
Patients as Partners: Innovation in Health Care

2:30 - 3:30 PM                   Breakout groups
3:30 - 4:00 PM                   Coffee Break
4:00 - 4:20 PM                   Mr. Paul Simms
President, SD Black Health Associates & Assistant Prof,  SPH, Loma Linda University
Stress, Baggage and Adverse Contributions to Patient Empowerment

4:20 - 4:40 PM                   Mr. Phil von Stade
Executive Director, Memory Glass Foundation,
& Quantified Self - Berkeley Chapter
Memories, Lost & Found: Engaging Families, Caregivers & Those with Memory Loss

4:40 - 5:00 PM                   Dr. Harold Woody Neighbors
Professor & Director, Health Behavior and Health Education,
School of Public Health, The University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan
The Promise of Social Media for Reducing Inequalities in Health Behavior: Personal Empowerment is an Interpersonal Process