[AISWorld] University of Michigan (UMSI) 2012 Faculty opening: Incentive-Centered Design

Lionel Robert lprobert at umich.edu
Wed Sep 19 13:42:35 EDT 2012

School of Information at the University of Michigan (UMSI) 2012 Faculty
opening: Incentive-Centered Design

The School of Information at the University of Michigan (UMSI) seeks a
tenure-track professor at any rank in the area of *incentive-centered design
* (mechanism design).

Incentive-centered design (mechanism design) is the science of designing
systems or institutions that align individual incentives with overall
system (social) goals. This approach builds on the attention to motivation
in the behavioral sciences, recognizing that mismatch between individual
interests, their strategic behavior, and system goals is pervasive. For
additional information see http://stiet.si.umich.edu/icd.

While we encourage applications from both foundational and applied
researchers in incentive-centered design (mechanism design), we are
particularly interested in candidates with strong interest and expertise in
technique, research methods or theory. The ideal candidate will complement
our strong current faculty group in this area, providing foundational or
anchoring strength. For example, we will favor candidates who are strong in
microeconomic theory, or econometrics, or at the intersection of computer
science and economics.

***
For all UMSI positions, we favor candidates whose research interests
complement our existing expertise in such areas as computer-supported
cooperative work; digital archives and preservation; human-computer
interaction; incentive-centered design (mechanism design) and information
economics; information seeking, sharing and use; both Internet-scale and
experimentally generated data, network and text analysis; social computing
and informatics.

The mission of the School of Information is to create knowledge so people
can use information and technology to build a better world, and to educate
socially-engaged information professionals. A successful candidate will be
committed to, and will directly contribute to, our goal of being the best
research and teaching institution for the understanding and design of
information and its technologies in service of people and society.

The School is home to a dynamic and vibrant research and teaching program,
with 35 FTE faculty, and over 400 students. We offer a PhD, a Master of
Science in Information, a Master of Health Informatics (joint with the
School of Public Health), a jointly offered undergraduate informatics
major, and as of Fall 2014, we will offer our own bachelor’s of information.

Founded in 1817, the University of Michigan has a long and distinguished
history as one of the first public universities in the nation. It is one of
only two public institutions consistently ranked among the nation's top ten
universities. The University has one of the largest health care complexes
in the world and one of the best library systems in the United States. With
more than $1 billion in research expenditures annually, the University has
the second largest research expenditure among all universities in the
nation. The University has an annual general fund budget of more than $1.4
billion and an endowment valued at more than $7.57 billion.

Qualifications:

• Ph.D. in an area such as computer science, economics.
• Demonstrated potential for successful teaching at the undergraduate and
graduate level
• Demonstrated potential for high scholarly impact
• A strong commitment to teaching, interdisciplinary research, and cultural
diversity

Review of applications will begin *November 1, 2012 *and continue until the
position is filled. To be interviewed at the AEA meetings, submit
application online by December 1, 2012. For more information or to apply,
please visit umsi.info/facultyapp.<https://si-coldfusion.si.umich.edu/outside_apps/ApplicantUserLogin.cfm>Please
contact the ICD search chair, Yan
Chen <yanchen at umich.edu?subject=ICD%20Faculty%20Position>, for questions of
fit or area.

The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
educator and employer.

Link:
http://si.umich.edu/aboutsi/2012-faculty-opening-incentive-centered-design

--