[AISWorld] Phd Position in Service Mining at The Open University

Carlos Pedrinaci c.pedrinaci at open.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 12:26:17 EDT 2012

A position is available for PhD students at the Knowledge Media
Institute of the Open University, UK (see
http://kmi.open.ac.uk/studentships/vacancies.php).

The Knowledge Media Institute (KMi) is home to internationally
recognised researchers in semantic technologies, educational multimedia,
collaboration technologies, artificial intelligence, cognitive science,
and human-computer interaction. KMi offers students an intellectually
challenging environment with exceptional research and computer facilities.

We are currently offering a fully-funded studentship commencing January
2013. Applications are invited from UK, EU and international students
for full-time, 3-year study on the following PhD project:

Mining Services on the Web

As the role of the Web has become central within ICT and our society in
general, it is increasingly apparent that although services are widely
used, current practices are largely driven by less traditional factors
than those initially anticipated and prescribed by software engineering
methodologies. In this PhD Studentship we would like to carry out
research on services from a fundamentally different perspective from the
one commonly adopted in Computer Science. Notably, rather than focusing
on defining new theoretical principles and frameworks for supporting the
development of service-oriented systems, we would like to exploit the
plethora of information that exists on the Web to figure out what
current practices are, gain a better understanding on how service
providers and service consumers are behaving, and use this knowledge to
better support their practices. By doing so we expect to gather a richer
understanding on current development processes in the Web era, so that
we can determine the main factors driving services successes and
failures, produce models that could predict the popularity or determine
the simplicity of usage of a given service, etc. It is only then that we
will be able to devise adequate technologies for supporting service
providers and consumers, as well as identify and propose means for
bridging the gap between current practices and best principles that
could lead us towards a more sustainable future.

Deadline for applications: 16th November 2012.

Further information:
http://kmi.open.ac.uk/studentships/mining-services-on-the-web.php

Contact: Carlos Pedrinaci (carlos.pedrinaci at open.ac.uk)

--
Dr. Carlos Pedrinaci
Knowledge Media Institute - The Open University

Tel: +44 1908 654773
Fax: +44 1908 653169