[AISWorld] MIS Comprehensive Exam concept followup

Weible, Rick weible at marshall.edu
Mon Dec 3 16:15:53 EST 2012

Dear All,
A few weeks ago I posted concerning options for determining if my students know something when they graduate.  Any other suggestions?  I asked for sources of an MIS Comprehensive Exam.

In my summary follow-up post, I indicated I thought the current options (ICCP and ISACA) are too expensive. I have sense discovered ICCP also offers through CCER (Center for Computing Education Research) an IS2010 exam for $50 per student.  I suggested the creation of a free online version.

I plan on working on such an exam for my graduating seniors over winter break and I would like some input (HELP!!) from anyone interested.

First, Anyone interested in administering the test to their students for comparing results?

Second, any suggestions on content?  ICCP.org bases there exam on the IS2010 curriculum guidelines
(see http://www.acm.org/education/curricula/IS%202010%20ACM%20final.pdf and the ICCP core exam outline at http://iccp.org/certification/exams/outlines#core)

Third, Question suggestions?  Have you written any great questions I can use?  Question format suggestions.  Currently, I am planning on straightforward multiple choice questions to measure basic knowledge and short case scenarios with multiple choice questions to examine depth of knowledge.

Fourth, length suggestions? The course I will be teaching this spring meets for 90 min. once a week. Should be exam(s) be designed in parts to be completed in and 50, 75 or 90 min. segments?

ALL COMMENTS will be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

:-)
Bye for now!
Dr. Rick Weible
Professor of MIS
Marshall University
College of Business
Division of Management, Marketing and MIS
419 Corbly Hall  - One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
email: weible at marshall.edu<mailto:weible at marshall.edu>
phone: 304-696-2673  fax: 304-696-6013
http://www.rickweible.org