[AISWorld] Summary of responses on: How to find out whether agile principles are followed up or not:

Ilia Bider ilia at ibissoft.se
Tue Dec 4 05:38:54 EST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I have received quite a number of responses on my request (see the
original request at the end of this message). I, and my students greatly
appreciate your engagement. Below find a list of references compiled
from the responses received so far. If there are more responses coming,
I will post an extended list later.

Thanks and best regards

Ilia
-----------------------------
IJKM has published several articles looking at KM in software
development/methodologies, also has articles applying use cases to KM,
patterns to KM, and other techniques to KM project development.  Take a
look at the past articles at:
http://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-knowledge-management-ijkm/1083

The ISJ's latest issue (22-6) has a couple of papers on Agile Methods.

Sue Kong, Julie E. Kendall, Kenneth E. Kendall. Project contexts and use
of agile software development methodology in practice: a case study.
(Business case study).  Journal of Academy of Business and Economics
12(2), 2012, 1-15

Kendall, J. E. and Kendall, K. E. "Agile Methodologies and the Lone
Systems Analyst: When Individual Creativity and Organizational Goals
Collide in the Global IT Environment," /Journal of Individual Employment
Rights/, Vol. 11, No. 4, 2005, pp. 333-347.

Kendall, J.E., Kendall, K.E., and Kong, S. "Improving Quality Through
The Use Of Agile Methods in Systems Development: People and Values in
the Quest for Quality,"  in /Measuring Information Systems Delivery
Quality,/ edited by E. W. Duggan & H. Reichgelt. Hershey, PA: Idea Group
Publishing, Chapter IX, 2006, pp, 201-222.

Conboy, K., and Fitzgerald, B. 2004. Toward a Conceptual Framework of
Agile Methods. C. Zannier, H. Erdogmus, and L. Lindstrom (eds.), (Vol.
3134) XP/Agile Universe. 105--116.

Babb, J. J. and Nørbjerg, J. (2010). A Model for Reflective Learning in
Small Shop Agile Development. /Engaged Scandinavian Research. Selected
Papers of the Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia/, J.
Molka-Danielsen, H. W. Nicolajsen and J. S. Persson. Molde, Norway,
tapir Akademisk Forlag. 1*: *23-38.

And what does "really agile" mean: XP by the book or the principles laid
out in; e.g. Cockburn's work. Look for papers by Heeager, L. She has
explored (thesis work) how teams combine agile and "traditional"
methods. She develops a "mesh" model in her thesis but I don't know if
she has published it yet.

Tingling, P. Saeed, A. (2007) "Extreme Programming in Action -- A
Longitudinal Case Study". In Proceedings of the HCI International
Conference, Beijing, China.

Diane Strode. The agile methods: An analytical comparison of five agile
methods and an investigation of their target environment. MS thesis,
2005: http://hdl.handle.net/10179/515. See also other research works on
https://sites.google.com/site/dianestrodepublic/

P.S.: Beside the references I got some suggestions and advices, which
were also much appreciated by our team.

On 2012-12-02 09:24, Ilia Bider wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> A group of students of mine are starting a project with the goal of
> investigating "Knowledge transformation/management in the agile
> software development". The project includes field/case studies of the
> agile development teams.
>
> The first problem to solve in the project is how to choose the right
> teams, i.e. how to differentiate the teams that are really agile from
> those who just state/believe that they are agile. As agile became a
> buzz/fashion word, we think that there should be plenty of teams of
> the second class :-).
>
> We do not suppose that there are ready made methods to make such a
> differentiation, and will be working on a questionnaire based on the
> agile manifesto http://agilemanifesto.org/. However, if somebody knows
> any work, even if it is just MS/BS thesis, devoted to this particular
> task, I and my students would appreciate getting references to such
> works very much.
>
> The study itself concern knowledge management in the agile development
> process. If you can point out any literature related to this topic, we
> would appreciate it as well. For now the project is planned according
> to the ideas presented at GTSE workshop http://bit.ly/V9750J see
> slides: http://bit.ly/QXjynC and two pages position paper
> http://bit.ly/PGSfNG.
>
> As usual the summary of responses will be send to the list.
>
> Many thanks and best regards
>
> -- Ilia
> Dr. Ilia Bider
> Process- och systemutvecklingskonsult at ibissoft.se