[AISWorld] Summary of responses on: How to find out whether agile principles are followed up or not:

Ilia Bider ilia at ibissoft.se
Thu Dec 6 04:12:40 EST 2012

Dear colleagues,

Below find additional references to my request that I have received
after posting the initial reference list. Thanks for your engagement, it
is much appreciated.

Regards/Ilia

In chapter 9 in the book "Taxén, L. (Ed.) (2011). The System Anatomy --
Enabling Agile Project Management. Lund: Studentlitteratur. ISBN
9789144070742" (https://www.studentlitteratur.se/#produkt/294/4883/)
Erik Schumann writes about "How Teams Become More Motivated and
Effective When Working with Anatomies"

Juhani Iivari,Netta Iivari.The relationship between organizational culture and the deployment of agile methods. Information and Software Technology 53 (2011) 509--520.

The closest to a questionnaire that already exists is the "Agile
Karlskrona Test" by Mark Seuffert. It's a questionnaire that aims to
determine how far a development team is from waterfall, on their way to
agile:
http://www.mayberg.se/archive/Agile_Karlskrona_Test.pdf

A more helpful reference is the following:
*Barry Boehm and Richard Turner. 2003. Observations on Balancing
Discipline and Agility. In/Proceedings of the Conference on Agile
Development/ (ADC '03). IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, 32-.*
 > It aims to determine the home ground of a project. Is a project more
inclined to traditional development, or more so to agile development,
dependent on its context.

Following paper:
*Fergal Mc Caffery, Philip S. Taylor, and Gerry Coleman. 2007. Adept: A
Unified Assessment Method for Small Software Companies. /IEEE
Softw./ 24, 1 (January 2007), 24-31. DOI=10.1109/MS.2007.3
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MS.2007.3*
 > This paper builds on the paper by Boehm and Turner. It aims to
identify risks within projects by using the home ground defined by Boehm
and Turner.

The following papers by Asif Qumer and Brian Henderson-Sellers are very
interesting. They developed an analytical framework, 4-DAT
(4-Dimensional Analytical Tool) for the purpose of analysis and
comparison of agile methods. The four different dimensions utilized are:
method scope characterization, agile characterization, agile values
(cfr. agile manifesto) characterization, and software process
characterization. They also build on the conceptual framework of Kieran
Conboy and Brian Fitzgerald and apply their own 4-DAT to six well-known
agile methods and two traditional methods, for comparison.

*A. Qumer and B. Henderson-Sellers, 2007, Measuring Agility and
Adoptability of Agile Methods: A 4-Dimensional Analytical Tool, IADIS
International Conference of Applied Computing, *
*> http://www.iadis.net/dl/final_uploads/200601C022.pdf*

*A. Qumer and B. Henderson-Sellers. 2008. An evaluation of the degree of
agility in six agile methods and its applicability for method
engineering. /Inf. Softw. Technol./ 50, 4 (March 2008), 280-295.
DOI=10.1016/j.infsof.2007.02.002
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2007.02.002*

*A. Qumer, B. Henderson-Sellers, A framework to support the evaluation, adoption and improvement of agile methods in practice, Journal of Systems and Software, Volume 81, Issue 11, November 2008, Pages 1899-1919, ISSN 0164-1212, 10.1016/j.jss.2007.12.806.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0164121208000113)

The following papers by Ahmed Sidky et al, are about the development of
an agile adoption framework. However he has some very interesting ideas
in which he identifies five different levels of agility depending on the
practices employed by companies/projects. He developed a reference
document with a very extensive questionnaire for managers, developers,
project managers and I believe customers to identify which level a
company/project is situated on. Besides that he also identifies
'inhibiting factors' that limit the highest possible agile level.
Papers of his are:
*
*
*Ahmed Sidky, James Arthur and Shawn Brother, A disciplined Approach to
adopting agile practices: the agile adoption framework, Innovations in
systems and software engineering, Volume 3 Number 3 (2007)*
*http://www.springerlink.com/content/605377432l580124/*
*
*
Slaughter, S., Levine, L., Baskerville, R., Pries-Heje, J., Ramesh,
B.(2006)Aligning software processes with strategy. /Management
Information Systems Quarterly 30 /(4), 891-918.

Baskerville, R., Pries-Heje, J., Levine, L., & Ramesh, B.(2004). The
high speed balancing game: How software companies cope with Internet
Speed. /Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems16/, 11-54.

Baskerville, R., Levine, L., Pries-Heje, J., Ramesh, B., &Slaughter, S.
(2003),Is Internet-speed software development different? /IEEE Software
20 /(6), Nov-Dec, 70-77.

Baskerville, R., Levine, L., Pries-Heje, J., Ramesh, B., &Slaughter, S.
(2001)How Internet software companies negotiate quality. /IEEE Computer
34/ (5), May 2001, 51-57.

Levine, L., Baskerville, R., Loveland Link, J.L., Pries-Heje, J.,
Ramesh, B., & Slaughter, S., (2002).Discovery colloquium: Quality
software development @ Internet speed. (SEI Technical Report
CMU/SEI-2002-TR-020) Pittsburgh, PA.; Software Engineering Institute.

http://www.sei.cmu.edu/library/abstracts/reports/02tr020.cfm?DCSext.abstractsource=SearchResults

Process- och systemutvecklingskonsult at ibissoft.se
ilia at dsv.su.se
Preparing for the era of cloud computing http://slidesha.re/LOTFSZ