[AISWorld] JAIS Contents of Volume 13, Issue 12 (December) (with first Dialogue papers)

Gregor, Shirley shirley.gregor at anu.edu.au
Fri Dec 28 19:45:20 EST 2012

Contents of Volume 13, Issue 12 (December) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS) Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems

***
 Note this issue includes the first papers to appear in the new Dialogue category in JAIS, which is intended for responses to other JAIS papers.
The Browne and Parsons' paper (Paper 3) is a response to the  Davern, Teresa Shaft, and Dov Te’eni paper “Cognition Matters: Enduring Questions in IS Research”,
which appeared in JAIS in April 2012. A reply from Davern et al appears as Paper 4.
JAIS welcomes submissions in the Dialogue category for timely discussion of matters of interest.
See
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/authorinfo.html
***

Published: Monthly Electronically

ISSN: 1536-9323

Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/
Editor-in-Chief: Professor Shirley Gregor, The Australian National University, Australia

PAPER ONE
A New Approach to Testing Nomological Validity and Its Application to a Second-Order Measurement Model of Trust By Liping Liu, Chan Li, and Dan Zhu

Abstract
This paper examines the concept of the nomological validity of second- and/or higher-order measurement models. It also proposes a new approach that consists of measuring two validity indices — predictive and mediating efficiencies — to compare the efficacies of a research model with and without a higher-order abstraction. To illustrate this concept, we test a second-order measurement model of trust and study how it behaves in a nomological network of the consumer’s prior experience as an antecedent and willingness to buy as a consequent variable.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:

http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol13/iss12/4/

PAPER TWO
Examining Knowledge Management Enabled Performance for Hospital Professionals: A Dynamic Capability View and the Mediating Role of Process Capability By Ing-Long Wu and Ya-Ping Hu

Abstract
Healthcare organizations are essentially associated with highly knowledge-intensive property, and hospital professionals are key to providing high-quality care to patients. KM-enabled performance for hospital professionals is the major concern of senior management. The literature has generally argued for a process-based approach for KM-enabled performance in which process capabilities mediate the link between knowledge resources and performance. According to the knowledge-based view, KM-enabled performance should be rooted in the identification of knowledge resources, including knowledge assets and capabilities. Further, the concept of dynamic capabilities defines an interaction feature between knowledge assets and capabilities. Next, KM-enabled performance is generally defined to include both financial and patient performance. Based on the dynamic capability view and the mediating role of process capability, this research thus proposes a novel research model for exploring KM-enabled performance for hospital professionals, which this includes three major components: interaction between hospital knowledge assets and capabilities, hospital process capabilities, and hospital performance. The empirical results indicate that the model of KM-enabled performance is well fitted with these components, and hospital professionals are closely associated with KM-enabled performance in providing high-quality care.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:

http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol13/iss12/3/

PAPER THREE (DIALOGUE)
More Enduring Questions in Cognitive IS Research By Glenn J. Browne and Jeffrey Parsons

Abstract
In the April 2012 issue of the Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Michael Davern, Teresa Shaft, and Dov Te’eni published an article titled “Cognition Matters: Enduring Questions in IS Research”. Their paper reviewed much of the history of cognitive research in the IS discipline, especially that related to human-computer interaction and decision support systems. While we believe their article is excellent in many respects, we also believe that it omitted a great deal of the most basic cognitive research performed in the IS domain over the past 10-15 years, especially work in the area of systems analysis and design. Our purpose in this paper is to supplement the work of Davern et al. by discussing much of this recent work. We use two theoretical lenses to organize our review: basic cognition and behavioral decision-making research. Our review provides many illustrations of IS research in these areas, including memory and categorization (basic cognition) and heuristics and biases (behavioral decision making). The result, we believe, is a fuller picture of the breadth of cognition-based work in the IS discipline in general and systems analysis and design in particular.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:

http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol13/iss12/2/

PAPER FOUR (DIALOGUE)
More Enduring Questions in Cognitive IS Research: A Reply By Michael Davern, Teresa Shaft, and Dov Te’eni

Abstract
In this short reply, Michael Davern, Teresa Shaft, and Dov Te'eni respond to Glenn Brown and Jeffrey Parson's dialogue paper, "More enduring questions in cognitive IS research".

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:

http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol13/iss12/1/