[AISWorld] Call for Submissions: HICSS Knowledge Systems Track: Minitrack: Information Systems to Knowledge Systems: Issues in Knowledge and Systems Research

Kevin Lee Elder kelder at georgiasouthern.edu
Tue Mar 12 15:22:18 EDT 2013

Remember that discussion on the listserv post ICIS about a possible
shift in the IS Discipline?
This mini-track is in response in part to that discussion, and
countless others on the relevance of IS research and curriculum.

What better place to discuss it than Hawaii in January!

Consider, submit, and come join us!  Mahalo!

CALL FOR PAPERS
Forty-Seventh Annual Hawaii International Conference on System
Sciences (HICSS-47) (http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu)
January 6 - 9, 2014 (Monday-Thursday)
Hilton Waikoloa, Big Island (http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com)

Track: KNOWLEDGE SYSTEMS
Minitrack: Information Systems to Knowledge Systems: Issues in
Knowledge and Systems Research
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/track/ks/KS-Information.pdf

It has been proposed by many in our field that the discipline of
Information Systems requires a shift in teaching and research.
Historically, the field has been focused on the transformation of data
into information and in this track, we take the view that this has,
for the most part, already occurred.

Further, we posit that the field is moving towards the transformation
of information to knowledge and knowledge to wisdom, a necessary step
for the survival of the field. For this track, we invite research
proposals, education curricula, and papers that illustrate and/or
demonstrate this shift, or even cases that argue against this stance.

The field of Systems Science, as with most computing fields, is
experiencing the effect of changing paradigms. In this time of big
data, how can we get big knowledge or big breakthroughs to resolve
problems our planet and societies face, now and in the future?
Solutions to environmental, health, and energy problems require
extensive knowledge bases that traditional MIS curricula and research
appear to fail to address. In this track, we intend to stimulate
dialogue amongst IS faculty and professionals to shift our discipline
towards greater relevance. The issue of relevance has been discussed
for many years, but now is the time to make pragmatic changes.

HICSS conferences are devoted to the most relevant advances in the
information, computer, and system sciences, and encompass developments
in both theory and practice. Accepted papers may be theoretical,
conceptual, tutorial or descriptive in nature. Those selected for
presentation will be included in the Conference Proceedings published
by the IEEE Computer Society and maintained in the IEEE Digital
Library.

Examples of desired work may include at least the following:
- Case study examples from industry and academia that illustrate
workplace applications.
- Academic cases that highlight or refute this shift in the curricula.
- Frameworks that help companies transform practice from the past to
the present for the future.
- Technologies that help companies build knowledge systems from their
information systems.
- Commentaries on IS as a scientific discipline (what is "science"?
What are outcomes of scientific endeavors?)
- Papers of the value of IS as it stands as a functional area in an organization
- Examples of evidence based research that demonstrates the
application of theoretical concepts, and that support the premise of
this track

How to Submit a Paper: Follow Author Instructions on the conference web site.
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/apahome47.htm

HICSS papers must contain original material. They may not have been
previously published, nor currently submitted elsewhere. All
submissions undergo a double-blind peer review process; so initial
submission must be without author names.

Abstracts are optional, but strongly recommended. You may contact the
Minitrack Chair(s) for guidance or verification of content.

Submit a paper to only one Minitrack. If a paper is submitted to more
than one minitrack, then either paper may be rejected by either
minitrack without consultation with author or other chairs.  If you
are not sure of the appropriate Minitrack, submit an abstract to the
Track Chair(s) – see names and contact information below, for
determination, and/or seek informal opinion(s) of Minitrack Chair(s)
before submitting.
Do not author or co-author more than 5 papers. This means that an
individual may be listed as author or co-author on no more than 5
submitted papers. Track Chairs must approve any names added after
submission or acceptance on August 15.

Important 2013 Deadlines for Authors

Anytime prior to June 1st - Submit an abstract/idea to any of the
mini-track co-chairs.
June 15 -  Submit full manuscripts for review as instructed. The
review is double-blind; therefore, this initial submission must be
without author names.
Aug 15 - Review System emails Acceptance Notices to authors. It is
very important that at least one author of each accepted paper attend
the conference. Therefore, all travel guarantees – including visa or
your organization’s fiscal funding procedures – should begin
immediately.  Make sure your server accepts the review system address
https://precisionconference.com/~hicss.
Sept 15 -  SUBMIT FINAL PAPER. Add author names to your paper, and
submit your Final Paper for Publication to the site provided in your
Acceptance Notice. (This URL is not public knowledge.)
Oct 1 - Early Registration fee deadline. At least one author of each
paper should register by this date in order secure publication in the
Proceedings. Fees will increase on Oct 2 and Dec 2.
Oct 15 - Papers without at least one paid-in-full registered author
may be deleted from the Proceedings and not scheduled for
presentation; authors will be so notified by the Conference Office.

Go Here for more information:
Mini-Track - Information Systems to Knowledge Systems: Issues in
Knowledge and Systems Research
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/track/ks/KS-Information.pdf

Knowledge Systems Track - http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/ks.html

HICSS - http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/apahome47.htm

Or Contact any of the Mini-track Co-Chairs –

Minitrack Co-Chairs
Kevin Lee Elder (Primary Contact)
Georgia Southern University
1100 IT Drive, Suite 3126
Statesboro GA 30460
kelder at georgiasouthern.edu

Alan Litchfield
Auckland University of Technology
School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
Private Bag 92006
Auckland 1142 New Zealand
alan.litchfield at aut.ac.nz

Andrew Urbaczewski