[AISWorld] JAIS 2013 Volume 14, Issue 4 (April) Contents - Special Issue - Expanding the Frontiers of Information Systems Research - Part A

Gregor, Shirley shirley.gregor at anu.edu.au
Wed May 1 01:15:48 EDT 2013

Contents of Volume 14, Issue 4 (April) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS) Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems

Published: Monthly Electronically

ISSN: 1536-9323

Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/
Editor-in-Chief: Professor Shirley Gregor, The Australian National University, Australia

This issue contains the first part of the special issue on Expanding the Frontiers of Information Systems Research.
The second part of the special issue will appear in the May issue of JAIS.

EDITORIAL
Expanding the Frontiers of Information Systems Research: Introduction to the Special Issue By Cynthia Beath, Nicholas Berente, Michael J. Gallivan, and Kalle Lyytinen

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol14/iss4/4/

PAPER ONE
Balance of Trade in the Marketplace of Ideas By John Leslie King

Abstract
If the Information Systems (IS) field is to exist with other fields in some kind of balance of trade in a marketplace of ideas, the scheme is not working too well, at least when comparing IS with Computer Science (CS). The trade tends to be one-way, from CS to IS. This paper explores why that is the case, and what might be done to change things

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol14/iss4/3/

PAPER TWO
Managing the Unmanageable: How IS Research Can Contribute to the Scholarship of Cyber Projects By Laurie J. Kirsch and Sandra A. Slaughter

Abstract
Cyber projects are large-scale efforts to implement computer, information, and communication technologies in scientific communities. These projects seek to build scientific cyberinfrastructure that will promote new scientific collaborations and transform science in novel and unimagined ways. Their scope and complexity, the number and diversity of stakeholders, and their transformational goals make cyber projects extremely challenging to understand and manage. Consequently, scholars from multiple disciplines, including computer science, information science, sociology, and information systems, have begun to study cyber projects and their impacts. As IS scholars, our goal is to contribute to this growing body of inter-disciplinary knowledge by considering three areas of IS research that are particularly germane to this class of project, given their characteristics: development approaches, conflict, and success factors. After describing cyber projects, we explore how IS research findings in these three areas are relevant for cyber projects, and suggest promising avenues of future research. We conclude by discussing the importance and unique challenges of cyber projects and propose that, given our expertise and knowledge of project management, IS researchers are particularly well suited to contribute to the inter-disciplinary study of these projects.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol14/iss4/2/

PAPER THREE
Information Technology and Product/Service Innovation: A Brief Assessment and Some Suggestions for Future Research By Satish Nambisan

Abstract
In this paper, I follow up on my previous article about information systems as a reference discipline for new product development (Nambisan, 2003) and assess the extant research on this topic. To facilitate the assessment, I develop a framework that considers information technology's (IT's) dual roles as operand resource and as operant resource and its impact on innovation process and on innovation outcome. My analysis reveals the advance that has been made in understanding IT's role as operand resource in innovation and the considerable opportunity that exists to explore IT's emerging role as operant resource in innovation. I also comment on the need for IS scholars working in this area to make careful choices regarding their research topic and theoretical perspectives to enhance the potential impact on and contribution to the product/service innovation literature.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol14/iss4/1/