[AISWorld] IT's Negative Consequences? A Quick Poll and an Academy of Management PD Workshop

Harminder Singh harminder.singh at aut.ac.nz
Sat May 4 07:53:05 EDT 2013

Please take our short poll about IT's possible negative consequences on our society and economy.  And, if you can, please attend our Professional Development Workshop on research about these outcomes at the Academy of Management in Orlando. Details below.

IT has brought many benefits to individuals, organizations, and society, but it has also had negative consequences such as
. stress and overload
. surreptitious monitoring
. altered interpersonal interaction patterns
. unemployment
. cyberterrorism
. recurrent disruptions of financial markets.

How can research in the fields of management, communication, and information systems advance our understanding of these issues and support effective intervention? What role can future-oriented sociotechnical analysis methods play in such research?

These questions will be the focus of a Professional Development Workshop at the Academy of Management Meeting in Orlando on Saturday August 10, 2013 (1:30-4:00 pm at WWW Swan Resort Macaw 1&2) (http://program.aomonline.org/2013/Session_Details.asp?print=true&SubmissionID=16166). The workshop will have the format of an interactive Future Search Conference. We hope to see you there. Attendance is limited. Please preregister for this event before the August 7th deadline.

Whether you can attend or not, will you please let us know what you think about potential future IT-related problems by answering a two-minute internet poll? https://bentley.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_d7rccabfWCJk5iR

We will summarize the results of our poll and publish them on AISWorld and OCISNet.

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Ann Majchrzak
M. Lynne Markus
Kevin Mentzer
Carol Stoak Saunders