[AISWorld] 2nd CfP -- HICSS 2014 Mini-track: Theories in IS Research

Dirk Hovorka dhovorka at bond.edu.au
Mon May 13 00:59:32 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

2nd Call for Papers: We invite you to submit a paper to the 47th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences (HICSS) mini-track  "Theories in IS Research". We present the CfP of the mini-tack below. For further conference details, schedules and submission guidelines, please see: http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/apahome47.htm
Please circulate this information to interested researchers.

HICSS 2014 Mini-track:  Theories in IS Research
(Organizational Systems and Technology track)

The "Theoretical Approaches to IS Research" mini-track had a long history at HICSS and succeeded in elevating a broad, community-wide interest in IS theories. Recent editorial statements, including for MIS Quarterly (May 2007), have highlighted the need for focused attention on IS theories, analysis of theories, and the assumptions underlying theories.  For HICSS-47 (2014), the "Theories in IS Research" minitrack has been re-focused, restructured, and re-titled to broaden its appeal and mission and to continue to address these goals.

Despite the ubiquity of "theory" in IS research, there remain numerous lines of inquiry regarding IS theory and how to better promote development, understanding, and use of theory.  Notably there are few frameworks and ontologies that organize theories used in IS research or that relate IS theories to theories in other disciplines. There is also a need to develop a more coherent understanding of the philosophical commitments represented in the development and use of theories. We also seek essays and thought-papers which promote more discussion for deepening foundational understanding and philosophical discussions of IS theory and the differing and competing roles of theory in research.

Toward these ends, topics of interest in this minitrack include:
Research on ontologies, taxonomies, frameworks, and categorizations of constructs and variables used in IS theories;
The theoretical ties between IS research and research in other disciplines;
Trends in IS theories;
Integration or simplification of related IS theories;
Evaluation of the tools used in theory meta-analysis;
Discussion of the different roles of theories used to explain, to predict and to understand;
Exploration of the dependencies of constructs and variables and the boundaries of IS theories
Meta studies of the IS field, based on theories used, and meta studies of theories used, in IS research
Papers that develop new theories applicable to IS research
Papers that extend existing theories within the context of IS research.

New this year, we hope to promote new points of view by inviting a guest speaker to address a pioneering topic. We also hope to host a social event among those interested in IS theory.

This minitrack also has an associated ISWorld website devoted to theories used in IS research (http://istheory.byu.edu/wiki/Main_Page) -which won the 2005 AISWorldNet Challenge Award for the best website based on AISWorldNet user voting.  We intend to uphold this high standard and advance the website further by increasing the synergy between mini-track outcomes and website content.

Minitrack Co-Chairs:
Scott L. Schneberger (Primary Contact)
Professor, and Dean of Academics
Principia College
Elsah, IL 62028
Scott.Schneberger at principia.edu
Dirk S. Hovorka, Associate Professor
Bond Business School
Bond University
Gold Coast, AU 4229
dhovorka at bond.edu.au<mailto:dhovorka at bond.edu.au>

Kai R. Larsen. Associate Professor
Leeds School of Business
University of Colorado
Boulder, Colorado 80309
Kai.Larsen at colorado.edu<mailto:Kai.Larsen at colorado.edu>

CALL FOR PAPERS
Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-47)
January 6-9, 2014 (Monday-Thursday)
Hilton Waikoloa, Big Island, Hawaii, USA
HICSS papers must contain original material. They may not have been previously published, nor currently submitted elsewhere.

Important Dates:
June 15, 2013              Submit full manuscripts for review as instructed
August 15, 2013         Acceptance notices to authors
September 15, 2013    Final paper versions due
October 15, 2012        Author registration deadline (at least one author must register)
January 6-9, 2014        Conference

Dr. Dirk S. Hovorka
Associate Professor -
Department of Informatics