[AISWorld] Georgia Tech offers a $6, 600 Master's Degree in Computer Science

Kappelman, Leon Leon.Kappelman at unt.edu
Mon May 27 13:28:31 EDT 2013

Dennis K. Berman<http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=213114599&authType=name&authToken=Xtq2&goback=%2Empd2_*1_*1_*1_*1_%2F20130524203941*5213114599*5the*56*5600*5master*5s*5degree&trk=mp-ph-pn>
Business Editor of the Wall Street Journal
The $6,600 Master's Degree
May 24, 2013
There comes a time in every concept's life when the thing...actually...happens.
If you're reading this post, you probably already have some familiarity with all the jostling going on in the education business. You know, for instance, that a number of companies are experimenting with MOOCs<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course> (Massive Open Online Courses), tablet-based learning<http://mashable.com/2013/03/06/classroom-tablets/>, and all kinds of in-school networking and Big Data analytics.
And then came last week's announcemen<http://blog.udacity.com/2013/05/sebastian-thrun-announcing-online.html>t.
Georgia Tech, one of the nation's best engineering schools, said it would begin offering fully-accredited, real-world master's degrees in computer science via the Internet. The cost: About $6,600. Or roughly the cost of a few years of interest that many graduate students pay on a big loan to fund their education.
Here is the key line from the The Wall Street Journal<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324031404578483670125295836.html>'s take on the program:
The upfront costs to create the online lectures run between $200,000 and $300,000, but once those hard outlays have been made the cost per each additional student is minimal, said Mr. Isbell. He estimated the school would have to hire one full-time teacher for every 100 online students as opposed to one full-time teacher for every 10 or 20 students who study on campus.
The description made me recall my freshman political science class in the mid-1990s, held in a dusty auditorium in West Philadelphia, a bow-tied professor reading his erudite, but canned, lecture to a few hundred freshmen.
Looking back on it now, this experience had far more in common with the Middle Ages than the world of 2013. What's the difference between watching a lecture in an auditorium and watching HD-quality video in one's living room or beach cabana?
>From there it's not that hard to question the cost of a standard master's degree, which all-in can cost $50,000 to $60,000 per year. Even if the experience is not the same, the value for money from the $6,600 degree appears at first blush, superior.
For people in business, there's plenty to take away here. It's easy to use the old trope - disruption - but put that aside for a moment.
The thought exercise I've been going through is this: What's the proverbial $6,600 Master's Degree in your industry? And what would happen to your industry if it happened now rather than in the murky future? It's a fun and sometimes harrowing game to play.
Let's try:
For doctors, it's nearly-thinking systems that can diagnose, prescribe, and treat most common illnesses, absent human intervention.
For journalists like me, it's already arrived. It's called the free Internet.
For taxi drivers, it's driverless cars.
For hotels, it's Airbnb.<http://www.airbnb.com>
If you haven't devised the answer for what it is you do, you have three choices: Prepare for it, build it, or ignore it. What's your path?
Best wishes,
Leon Kappelman

"Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely.  The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/franklind402955.html>" - Franklin D. Roosevelt<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/franklind402955.html>

Leon A. Kappelman, Ph.D.
  Professor of Information Systems
  Director Emeritus, Information Systems Research Center
  Fellow, Texas Center for Digital Knowledge
    College of Business, University of North Texas
    Voice: 940-565-4698   Email: kapp at unt.edu<mailto:kapp at unt.edu>