[AISWorld] Summary of a survey on the negative consequences of IT - Do you agree?

Harminder Singh harminder.singh at aut.ac.nz
Tue Jun 4 20:20:09 EDT 2013

Last month we circulated a poll on IT's possible negative consequences. Here is a summary of responses we received. What's missing? Do you agree with the responses?

# Macro social/economic consequences:
> financial destabilization from automated trading environmental
> degradation from electronic waste and increased paper consumption use
> of ICT in social protest unemployment; loss of jobs in several
> industries university education changing for worse because of MOOC's

# Organizational consequences
> data leaks
> overuse of ICT and lack of face-to-face meetings at work creating
> ineffectiveness bricks and mortar retailers can no longer compete with
> online retailers for numerous IT-related reasons

# Personal and interpersonal consequences
> lack of sleep-24 X 7 emailing and virtual meeting cyberbullying and
> cyberstalking loss of skills (map-reading, handwriting), loss of job
> opportunities reduced inclusion through pervasive use of Facebook to
> publicize events reduced interpersonal interaction as people interact
> more with devices erosion of privacy lack of trust

# Other
> IT's effects are no more negative than those of other disruptive innovations: financial innovations (fin crisis), marketing innovations, etc.
> IT's negative effects are offset by its benefits

What's missing? And what do you think about ICT's negative consequences? Please take our ** REVISED ** poll: https://bentley.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_ePxbDj4K5oJc8Gp

And don't forget to attend our Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop in Orlando on Saturday August 10, 2013 (1:30-4:00 pm at WWW Swan Resort Macaw 1&2) (http://program.aomonline.org/2013/Session_Details.asp?print=true&SubmissionID=16166). The workshop will have the format of an interactive Future Search Conference. We hope to see you there. Attendance is limited. Please preregister for this event before the August 7th deadline.

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Ann Majchrzak
M. Lynne Markus
Kevin Mentzer
Carol Stoak Saunders